Kelly's Reviews > Love and Friendship

Love and Friendship by Jane Austen

bookshelves: fiction

I'm sad to say this might be my favorite Austen. I love P&P and S&S, but this bit of juvenalia is a scream. 14 year old Austen parodies the sentimental novels of the time quite deftly. My friend Jean and I loved this book so much in grad school we would sign cards to each other "love and freindship (sic)." Before I walked down the aisle at my wedding Jean stuck her head in the door and said "don't faint." (This is the book with the famous quote "run mad if you chuse, but do not faint.")

Also -- I find it fascinating to read Austen's early fiction. It kind of gives her later books a history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Friendship.

Finished Reading
December 26, 2007 – Shelved
December 26, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Wayne (last edited Feb 20, 2009 11:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wayne Gosh, was I relieved to find you saying that you thought you just might prefer Jane's Juvenalia to her novels!!!!
I just had to force myself, guiltily no less, to vote for the last box on "Your Favourite Jane Austen Novel" poll on some Jane Austen Site on Goodreads.
And I was the only person who has done so according to the graph that then appeared!!!!! Guess what the last box was???": NONE, I'm a creepy Juvenilia fan."
Creepy???!!!???

I did a big reread of it late last year when reading the wonderful Austen biography "Becoming Jane Austen". Reason being, the author (MALE), had written a wonderful chapter on the Juvenalia and it proved such an insight into her novels and into the nurturing family environment and the family sense of humour and attitude to the world that she absorbed and which consequently gave rise to this Absolute Asset to English Lit and the World.
Alas, Ladies Only, it too often seems!!!!

I capitalised the 'male' just then, because I am presently the sole male on this site going into raptures about Jane Austen. The only other is rather reserved.It is a shame literature gets gendered. We now have "chick-lit" and "chick-movies". Mary
McCarthy's "The Group" is similarly regarded.
The above biographer,Jon Spence, proved himself a sensitive and insightful narrator of a woman's life and situation.

I think you and Jean must have a Great Freindship and I know Jane would be...delighted!!!!
Cheers from Wayne,Sydney,Australia.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael I am a 60 year old male who has read and loved most of Jane Austen's works. I found this and started reading. About eight letters into the narrative, I said: "What a bunch of crap." After reading your review, I have determined to give this material another chance and see it through to the ending....mgc

Wayne Good on you, Michael.
I'm sure giving it another go can do no harm, and if you don't like it , there's no harm in that.
But do remember, this is a young jane, writing for fun and to entertain her family.I found myself laughing out loud. It is real burlesque, over the top, in the spirit of Fielding's "Tom Jones", quite different to her novels.
But the seeds of the novels are here.
By the way, I am now a 63 year old male!!!
Happy Reading..whatever it is. Wayne.

message 4: by Olga (new)

Olga Kelly, I'm so glad there's somebody who thinks about this as I do. Why do people take this so seriously? JA is one of the funniest writers who ever walked this Earth and it already shows at 14! That's exactly what most immature writers lack: self-ridicule and a sense of humor, but Jane had it all. I just love this early stuff and find it wildly entertaining.

Alice Fraser OMG I feel the same! It Was sooo funny 😍😍