Brian Yahn's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it

In general I'm not a fan of fantasy or long books. But after watching the first episode of the TV series, I decided to give A Game of Thrones a shot--thinking maybe I'd just read the books instead of watch the shows. Unfortunately, the amount of characters was too confusing, making it hard to connect with any of them, so I gave up and watched the first season. After it blew me away, I returned to the book. With the characters and places fresh in my mind and easy to visualize, the book became easy to follow and a breeze to read.

I found myself in awe of the additional depth that comes with the book, the paragraph long digressions George R R Martin goes on alone are more compelling and lively than a lot of other fantasy books. Still, the show seemed much more enjoyable for me...

What I loved about the show, the characters, didn't have the same magic on the page as they did on screen. What seemed like an epic character driven story on TV didn't seem that way as a book. I found myself more intrigued with random back stories and the plot than the characters that sucked me into this grim world of GRRM. Still, even though I don't really like fantasy or long books, I did enjoy this a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

November 10, 2014 – Started Reading
November 10, 2014 – Shelved
December 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Kike Ramos Well, you should keep with the tv show then. You'll love it cause it just gets better and this season finale was AWESOME. Plus, next season is going to be bomb

message 2: by Philipp (new) - added it

Philipp I wish I could tell you that the show gets better but it doesn't.
You should stick to season 1, 2 and 3 and then stop watching cause it gets downhill from there.

And it's really unsettling that you had the shows characters in mind while reading the books. Benioff and Weiss, the creators of this show, don't care about the real personalities of any character in the books so they reinvent them to their liking.

I don't forbid you to watch the whole show if plot holes, inconsistencies, storylines that make no sense, annoying characters, terrible dialogue, etc, etc are to your liking.
And that are just the things wrong with this show as its own thing. Don't get me started on the adaptational mistakes.

In my opinion you should stick to the books because they're way better and tell a good story.

message 3: by Philipp (new) - added it

Philipp Kike wrote: "Well, you should keep with the tv show then. You'll love it cause it just gets better and this season finale was AWESOME. Plus, next season is going to be bomb"

That was maybe the case in season 1, 2 and 3 but it doesn't apply to the current seasons.