Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Rise

The Rise by Julie Plec

bookshelves: read-2014

The year is 1722. Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah have fled, from Mikael their father who is hell-bent on killing them, to the new world. They try in New Orleans to build up a new life and have the past nine years lying low not really being able to settle in a town that is ruled by witches and werewolves. But everything is about to change. Vivianne, born of a mother who is a witch and a father who was a werewolf is betrothed to a werewolf to establish a union between witches and the werewolves that should bring peace between them. But then Klaus sets his eyes on Vivianne and the union is in jeopardy.

This is without a doubt a book written for the fans of the tv-series The Originals, if you don’t like the show or has not even heard of the Mikaelsons then you probably won’t like it as much as a fan of the show. Like me, who loved the book! I can’t remember the last time I read a book with such an enjoyment that the time just flew by and suddenly the book is over and I just wanted more, but there isn’t anymore because the last 8 % of the book is just the first part of the next book (that I want pronto!) and now I’m sad because it was so good.

I mean it had instalove and everything and I bought it. Sure Rebekah falls way too soon, but that is part of her character, she has never been very lucky when it comes to men. Seeing Klaus in love was more of a surprise, but it worked also. Elijah, as usual, is the one trying to stay level headed and keep his brother away from problems, but as always, Klaus is a loose cannon and Elijah will always put his family before anything. Was the ending predictable? Yes, but I didn’t mind that either. Damn, I just sucked up the story like a sponge sucking up water.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise.

November 10, 2014 – Shelved
November 10, 2014 – Shelved as: want-to-read-2014
November 15, 2014 – Shelved as: want-to-read-2015
December 10, 2014 – Started Reading
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-netgalley-edelweiss
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 10, 2014 –
21.0% "Loving this but alas I must work tomorrow so I have to say goodnight to Elijah, Klaus and Rebecka..."
December 11, 2014 –
24.0% "Managed to read 3 % on the bus this morning, then worked my ass off since we were short staffed (of course) and looked forward to get home to continue reading. But I was dead tired when I got home so I ate and then I slept instead of reading.\n \n So later on will I continue reading. But now will I waste some time watching telly instead."
December 12, 2014 –
50.0% "She opened her mouth to tell him she would do it – damn the consequences. She wanted to be his wife. Years from now, when she hadn’t aged and he wondered why there were signs of vampire kills everywhere they went and Elijah showed up every few months to try to drag her back into the fold . . . well, she would just figure those problems out as they came.\n \n Rebecka is in love..with a vampire hunter..."
December 12, 2014 –
73.0% "‘It’s just the way it is, then,’ Klaus sneered. ‘Circumstances have got in the way of your vow – oh, well. When I fall in love, I’m a dangerous madman who needs to be brought to heel, but you’re just some starryeyed romantic whose abandonment we’re supposed to accept.’"
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
December 12, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

✌ Ashley ☠ I just got my copy of this book and can't wait, but I don't know if my little Klaroline-shipping heart can take it.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Ashley wrote: "I just got my copy of this book and can't wait, but I don't know if my little Klaroline-shipping heart can take it."

Oh I think your heart will be fine, this is in Klaus past several hundred years before Klaroline...and I'm all for Haylijah but if Elijah finds someone to love in the past...well I can live with that, because in the future they belong together...;)