Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Talon

Talon by Julie Kagawa

Book 2 : Rogue ✬✬✬ (2.5)

Actual rating : 3.5 stars

Deciding to read Talon was an instant-jerk reaction for me. After reading a bunch of mixed reviews, I reached the decision to never, ever read it. Guess I was fucking wrong. Because what happened next is kind of a blur : reading Chelsea's review - downloading it - eating it - loving it.

I ended to disagree with almost all the warnings I read before. Go figure. Maybe I'm a weirdo. *shrug*

About what have I been warned?

Be careful, the main character is plain blank.
Here's the thing : I loved Ember from the beginning - she was a fierce and strong-minded character, and I really enjoyed following her during her let's try to live as humans journey. Funny, sometimes over-confident but never conceited, she tries to seek the truth out behind the welter of stereotypes she received since her early childhood. What stereotypes? In a world, Damn, the dragons are going to rule the world man!! Dragons powaaaaa!!

"All right, you bastards, I though, lowering myself into a stalking position, my belly scales nearly brushing the crates. We're changing the rules a bit. This time, I'm coming for you."

What I appreciated the most was the fact she never turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to the overwhelming evidence - That is to say, nothing is as simple as it seems at first, and humans can be pretty interesting too, for a reckless two-legged animal.

As for Garret, his journey in life appears to be utterly similar as Ember's. Except the fact he's human, he was also filled with craps at first, that is to say, the human version of world domination : Let's kill dragons, they're all Evil, but we have guns, woohoo!! Since the first time I met him, I was eager to see him reject this bullshit and begin to think by himself.

He didn't disappoint.

Here's a male-lead completely swoon-worthy, loyal - and adorably poorly adapted to the regular teenage life. Gah, I loved him so much.

It felt wrong. Dirty and underhanded, something they would do. But... I was a soldier, and this was my mission."

Do you want to know my thoughts about the second boy, Riley? Strangely, I really liked him too. Yes, I know, I'm stunned too - because usually, I seem to develop a strong hate toward the other guy, where here, well, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing at his jokes and rooting for him - to a certain extent, of course, these boundaries being Garret's happiness.

"Can't anyone ever start a fight without all the posturing and cheesy Bond-villain threats? It's not that hard. Here, let me demonstrate." And he smashed a fist into Colin's nose."

Be careful this is boring .
Well. I must be weird, because that was such a page turner for me. Go figure^^. I found the plot captivating and the twists enthralling, and as usual, I loved the fact the fantastic world could emerge in the real world. As I said earlier, I used to read a tons of fantasy and after almost 10 years I grew tired of learning a fucking lexicon each time I begin a new series. I know, I'm such a lazy reader.

While in Talon, the story is beautifully written in a way which draws us almost instantly in the life of the characters - in my case, anyway. That's true the romance overtook the plot at some point. But I don't care, because that romance? Beautiful. If you can't stand paranormal romance, it might annoy you though, I guess. Personally I found this first installment quite effective, even if some parts were predictable.

Be careful there is a love triangle in it .
When I checked reviews before taking the decision to read Talon, here's what made me really wary : Watch out!! Love triangle hell! Because as you may know, I despise them something fierce. Verdict? What was my surprise when I discovered it wasn't a love triangle for me. I know what you think : a girl, two boys? Love triangle! What is she trying to say here?

So, let me explain : I loathe it when characters - usually, the female lead - spend all their time to hang back between two boys. Perfect example? America Singer.

Oh, I love him - But He's amazing too, you know, I'm in love with Him. What? Did I say I loved him? I meant Him!

What? What do you mean Go screw yourself?

Nothing like that in Talon. Yes, we have two boys. Yes, they're both interested in Ember. Okaaaaay. But for me there isn't a love triangle because what links Ember and Riley is lust, attraction. On Garret's side? Love.

"Tonight, Garret the soldier didn't exist."

To conclude, I have to tell you to give it a try, because some crazy people like me end loving that dragons' story Julie Kagawa delivered here. That might not be your case, but come on, what are six hours in a life? At worst, you'll write a rant review, and ranting is fun, right?

But if you love it like me? Dammit, you'll spend an absolutely delighting moment with Ember and Garret.
___________________________________
All right guys!

Knock knock.

Postman - Hey, see, you received your copy of Talon
Me - Oh yes OMG I was sooooo looking forward to read it because -
Postman - You know there's a public debate on it right?
Me - What? No. Come on, dragons.
Postman - Yes but you know *whisper* it seems not as good as usual. For Kagawa, I mean
Me - Oh! I don't care, never read any of her books
Postman - *shocked face*
Me - Yes, because I've been on a fantasy break for years. There's only so much creepy elves a girl can take, you know?**

**Because I spent years to read only fantasy, yes, years, and at some point, I just couldn't enjoy it anymore without comparing and comparing with my absolute precious aka Robin Hobb's books - yes, all of them.

Actually, I downloaded it on my reader. But I do talk to my postman sometimes. But you saw my point, right?

Here I am, Because Chelsea convinced me here

Ready to enter the arena! TRANSFORMATION!! (omg. omg. I dreamt to write this so many times)

How in the world am I not credible? Duh, that's Sailor Moon for God's sake!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talon.

November 10, 2014 – Shelved
November 11, 2014 –
5.0% "Lexi was very touchy-feely, and the first time she grabbed my arm, I had to force myself not to pull back, hissing.\n OMG. I'm a dragon."
November 11, 2014 –
48.0% ""A ruse. That's all it was. Pretend to like this girl. Pretend to have feelings, to pursue some kind of relationship. Earn her friendship and trust, knowing I might have to destroy it, and her, in the end."\n So.. Almost half the book, and quite good so far. Of course the romance overtakes a bit the plot, but I don't mind, because I enjoy it^^."
November 11, 2014 –
67.0% "Really glad to read this one. Until now, as awesome as this : \n \n Of course that's great, that's Batman on a unicorn, duh."
November 12, 2014 – Started Reading
November 13, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Aaawwww Love ya!!!! *MUAH*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Aaawwww Love ya!!!! *MUAH*"

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Aaawwww Love ya!!!! *MUAH*"

♥ That's the truth, I can't stop thinking about it now - I even want to put my book on pause so I can begin :p"

You Begin!!! (NOW)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Aaawwww Love ya!!!! *MUAH*"

♥ That's the truth, I can't stop thinking about it now - I even want to put my book on pause so I can begin ..."

YES SIR! :'D Oh I just saw there's gonna be 5 books in this series??

Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks) I havent read any Kagawa yet either! This is my first. Lol I have the Iron Fey series, but havent read it haha

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I just keep on falling in love with you

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt last night to beeeeed! #ClosetGeek

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

chelsea, that's adorable

message 10: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Nov 11, 2014 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt last night to beeeeed! #ClosetGeek"

OMG a Sailor Moon t-shirt *__* YOU rock!!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Kat Stark wrote: "chelsea, that's adorable"

:DDDD It's from Hot Topic-I never go in there buuuuuuut I saw the T-shirt as I walked by and I lubbs the tv shows and movie paraphernalia soooooo O.O

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt last night to beeeeed! #ClosetGeek"

OMG a Sailor Moon t-shirt *__* YOU rock!!"

Ummmm undoubtedly lol I was Sailor Moon for Halloween in 5th grade-WOOT! ♥

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt last night to beeeeed! #ClosetGeek"

OMG a Sailor Moon t-sh..."

YAY! I remember I prefered Venus though when I was a kid. Don't ask me why, no idea lmao.

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt last night to beeeeed! #Clos..."

Orange, right?? Hmm that's right, right?? TELL ME IM RIGHT.

If so, it has to be that gorg blonde hair *insert diva emoji here*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously rock lol I just wore her t-shirt..."

YES THAT'S HER!!! Lmao, you're right, that's probably the hair :D :D - hey, no real red head in Sailor Moon :(( (but a tons in NA, ugh, why, WHY??)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added Sailor Moon. You seriously r..."

There is in Talon?? Score one in YA lol

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Omg-and you added..."

Oh yes I saw that!!!! Is it bad I was really happy about it? Hey, the girl is a dragon!! :D

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Pl..."

Nope! RAWR (Garret-grrrr :P)

Ceres Tu devrais vraiment lire The Iron Fey, franchement cette série ♥♥♥ c'est ma série vénérée *_*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Ceres wrote: "Tu devrais vraiment lire The Iron Fey, franchement cette série ♥♥♥ c'est ma série vénérée *_*"

Je sais, je l'ai dans ma PAL depuis une éternité, va falloir que je m'y mette :D

Ceres Ah oui, fonce!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Ceres wrote: "Ah oui, fonce!
Sinon, il est bien Talon? J'ai bien peur de me lancer, les avis ne sont pas très bons. Et vu comme je vénère un peu l'auteure, ça me fait peur lol"

Pour le moment franchement, je suis happée par l'histoire. Il faut savoir que la romance prend un peu le pas sur l'histoire, donc pour ceux que ça dérange, c'est gênant, mais jusqu'à maintenant je suis agréablement surprise parce que j'avais lu les avis et j'avais peur d'être déçue aussi^^ Mais je ne connais pas l'auteur, donc à prendre avec des pincettes...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

AHHHH AMAZING REVIEW. I don't know, I may be more inclined to try since you and Chelsea love it so much. I'll have to be in the mood though :D

ps. I think you would appreciate all the french in AC, it irritates me that I have no idea what they're saying, but I feel like you'll love it

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Oh thank you ♡♡ I know this book has some flaws actually, this is PNR, with a romance, with a main character who is "special". But I don't know, I really enjoyed it and I didn't want to over analyse the whole book lmao - That shows me how much peeves are subjectives sometimes, because in another book it'd annoy me maybe, while here, I was too hooked to care^^

Also, french in Unity??? Yay!! That's gonna be sooo fun!! I wanted to try tonight but that was such a long day, I'll begin tomorrow :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I'll translate for you if you want ; D

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I think everything is subjective, like the last book I read. Totally overlooked a few things, because STORY WAS AWESOME!! And that's totally fine, I just have to be in the right mood to read PNR in particular :)

Yes, French EVERYWHERE. Like all the run-ins with people, the only words I can make out is "Thank you" but I'm curious to what the rest say, so if you let me know...that would be awesome! I would look it up but they don't have subtitles for the french.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ No problem!! I'll tell you that, I'm even more eager to meet Arno and those french PNJ ;D

And yes exactly. I think a lot of readers are disappointed because that author is like, a goddess but I didn't know her books so I wasn't expecting anything. That's a good and fun PNR with romance, and I was totally in the mood for that :)

Lola I'm surprised at how much you loved this! Have been only reading negative reviews - have written one myself - but it's always nice and interesting to read another's perspective! It does happen to me too sometimes: to really like a book a few people do. And it's a strange but delightful feeling. Great review, Anna! <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lola wrote: "I'm surprised at how much you loved this! Have been only reading negative reviews - have written one myself - but it's always nice and interesting to read another's perspective! It does happen to m..."

Thank you Lola ♥♥ Yes, that's true, I almost only read negative reviews too... As I said, I know there are some peeves (PNR, romance, special character...) but I really enjoyed my reading :D And I ws just in the good mood for that :p Yes, strange but great feeling, I agree :))

Zinzi if you recomend it .. I'm in :) yoiur book recommendations are awesome!

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Love the review! This may actually convince me to read it!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Rox wrote: "if you recomend it .. I'm in :) your book recommendations are awesome!"

Oooh thank you Rox :)) I hope it will be a winner for you :D - I know there are two sides on that book, ha ha, either love it or despise it^^ Tell me if you read it!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Olivia wrote: "Love the review! This may actually convince me to read it!"

Thank you Olivia!! Keep me updated if you read it, I'm really curious to see what you all think about it^^

message 34: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel E. Carter I need to read this one -I am a sucker for dragons & love Julie's Iron Fey series... I know there were mixed reviews on this one but it still looks good!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one -I am a sucker for dragons & love Julie's Iron Fey series... I know there were mixed reviews on this one but it still looks good!!!"

It is!! Keep me updated if you read it :))

message 36: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel E. Carter ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one -I am a sucker for dragons & love Julie's Iron Fey series... I know there were mixed reviews on this one but it still looks good!!!"

It is!! Keep me updated ..."

I definitely will:) I'm hoping I can get to it before the end of the year, I feel like my TBR adds 5 books for every 1 book I read!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Rachel wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I need to read this one -I am a sucker for dragons & love Julie's Iron Fey series... I know there were mixed reviews on this one but it still looks good!..."

LMAO, same here :p

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Marvelous review! And yay!!!! So glad you fell in love with one of her books! She got me with The Iron Fey series. :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thank you!!! I received the Iron Fey, I'll finally read it!!!

message 40: by Den (new) - rated it 5 stars

Den Je l'ai dans ma PAL ! *___* Je vais me jeter dessus après Mara Dyer :3

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Thank you!!! I received the Iron Fey, I'll finally read it!!!"

Eeks, can't wait to see what you think! Just keep in mind that both Chels and I struggled with part of the first book, BUT the rest of the series is phenomenal.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jen wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Thank you!!! I received the Iron Fey, I'll finally read it!!!"

I know, don't worry, I read a tons of fantasy and sometimes I had to wait 2 books to reach the fabulous part :)) I'll be patient ♥

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Ah, you're a pro then! :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jen wrote: "Ah, you're a pro then! :D"

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ ✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Jen wrote: "Ah, you're a pro then! :D"

Not anymore, really, I stopped reading high fantasy several years ago, but I missed it now :)"

Enjoy another step back into the world of fantasy. It's a fun place to be. ♥

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jen wrote: "✭Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Jen wrote: "Ah, you're a pro then! :D"

Enjoy another step back into the..."

message 47: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Do you think I might love this one?

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lucy wrote: "Do you think I might love this one?"

Well... I think you might actually, but even if that's really good, in paranormal romance I prefered Chelsea Fine trilogy (Anew, Awry, Avow).

LMAO, not really helpful sorry!!

message 49: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Yeah you can do better girl!!
Actually I'm planning to read Chelsea Fine's trilogy soon!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lucy wrote: "Yeah you can do better girl!!
Actually I'm planning to read Chelsea Fine's trilogy soon!"

LMAO!! Look, I'm so sorry..

Also, you're meeting Tristan??? Oh. My. That man. ♥