Julie Davis's Reviews > They Did It with Love

They Did It with Love by Kate Morgenroth

Jul 06, 2010

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** #63 - 2010.

Yet another book thrust upon me by Hannah, however after reading Vampire$ and Armor I needed something light. This fills the bill as it is exceedingly lightweight and fluffy. A suburban murder mystery featuring a mystery book club that is determined to solve the murder of one of their own. Although that makes it sound as if this is a group of good friends making a concerted effort and that actually has just begun happening on around page 200. And I would never call these ladies pals. At best they seem to have joined the book club as refugees from the tedium of suburban life. Not riveting but it's a quick read thus far and I'm close enough to the end to want to stick around and see who dunnit. I slogged through the last hundred pages with unfaithful couples piling up like cordwood around me. It got more and more tedious until it got to a conclusion that I found distinctly unsatisfying.

SPOILER
Some famous mystery author whose quote I can't find at the moment said that people like reading mysteries because underneath it all they want justice. Although this book was clever from the point of view of paying homage to one of Agatha Christie's most famous murderers, Christie never let people get away with it. After struggling through a largely uninspired book with people I didn't care about, to be given this author's final solution by letting two murderers get of scott-free, was the final blow. I will never bother wasting my time with her work again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Did It with Love.

Started Reading