David's Reviews > Sleepwalking in Paradise

Sleepwalking in Paradise by Andrew O. Dugas

M 50x66

My experience with Goodreads 1st Reads and books that I've won have been hit or miss. This is a hit, a solid hit. Dugas takes the magic of San Francisco of the 1960s and transports it to the late 1990s, when the Bay Area could use another dose of it. His writing is solid, rarely self-conscious, and the story moves along at a swift pace. The characters are well drawn and easy to imagine, especially Tommy and Marta. My only criticism, and it's slight given the scope of what Dugas has accomplished here, is that what appears in the beginning to be a shared narrative of Tommy and Marta soon becomes Tommy's tale, so that when Marta is reintroduced a lot of page flipping is needed as refresher. The writing is so efficient that a little "repeating" would not be obtrusive, but useful. But every character has a good reason for being in Sleepwalking in Paradise, and to me the essence of this novel is that we need a dose of the 60s to save ourselves from our own greed. Now, being familiar with many of the places that Dugas describes was very fun for me, and I wonder if those readers not familiar with these San Francisco locales would get the same joy that I did. Well done, Mr. Dugas!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepwalking in Paradise.

Started Reading