Lady Vigilante (Feifei)'s Reviews > Nine Minutes

Nine Minutes by Beth Flynn

5 stars!!!!!

If there can only be one book you can get this month, heck, even this year, it HAS to be this one. This is going to sound cheesy, but I felt so alive when I was reading this book. It’s a story that evoked visceral reactions, put me in a book frenzy, and made me feel like I was taking caffeine shots. This book was 200% unputdownable for me. I’m a very paranoid and picky reader and unless a book has positive reviews from my friends (because we know each other’s tastes well) I won’t pick it up. However, this book’s synopsis had my attention and for the rest of the day I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I read a sample which was the engrossing prologue that gave me goosebumps and after that I was a goner. Putting down the book just simply wasn’t an option. Pages were flipped, tears were shed, and 2 hours later I was done.

The rest of my review is going to be a bit unconventional. There is SO much in this book so I decided to do a Q&A review. You see, every time I worked on my review, I would get a question, a message, or a comment asking me this and that and it really made me see that my normal review style is just not going to be good enough to cover everything. So the rest consists of questions others have asked me and my thoughts without spoiling anything.

Is there romance and an HEA?

That is the most asked question and my answer is yes to the romance. 100% yes. But I also have to say that if you are a romance only reader, this book may not be for you. As for the HEA part, I can’t emphasize enough that because this book crosses many other genres, we can’t subject it to the same kind of scrutiny as we do for pure romance books. So that HEA question? Hold onto it. It’s not defined and is something every reader has to decide for themselves. But for me personally? It was the best kind of happy ending that stayed true to both the characters and the story.

What genre is this book?

It’s not one specific genre. It crosses over many sub-genres as well and this is what I think the book falls under:

-MC
-Dark
-YA
-Psychological thriller
-Romance
-Historical (referring to the setting)
-Religious (referring to the heroine’s faith)

After mulling it over, I think it was faulty of me to project this book as mainly a biker book first. The heroine’s life does revolve around a motorcycle club but it’s not what defines her. Her age makes this book YA, her kidnapping, attitude, and psyche makes this a psychological thriller, her twisted love for a dangerous man makes this a romance, and the gritty biker life portrayed that has many triggers makes this dark. And speaking of triggers…

Yes, there are triggers in this book!!

Ginny is 15 when she’s taken. It honestly made me uncomfortable to know that our heroine is underage, probably because I have a younger sister close to her age and it makes me sick to think of an abduction like this ever happening to her. I will also be frank and say there is a questionable rape scene present and it was the first time in the book where I cried. The circumstances revolving around this scene is what made my heart break for all parties involved. And violence…yes, there is a good amount of violence, and a few scenes where it’s in explicit detail. But never did I feel like anything was gratuitous. Everything said and done had a purpose.

How historical is this book besides the setting?

Well the story spans from the time Ginny was kidnapped in 1975 to the year 2000 where a monumental trial takes place. 25 years of history packed in this story. I also want to point out that just because this book has a MC background, don’t expect it to be like other ‘modern’ biker books. You really can’t compare a present day MC to one 20-30 years ago. Times are different and people change.

Cheating, love triangle, and sex

With all honesty, I can’t say there was or wasn’t cheating or a love triangle because my opinion is not a fact. My opinion is no, there was no cheating and no love triangle (those needing details will have to message me), but for others even a tiny detail will make the difference in deciding if lines have been crossed. The sex is fade to black. This is not your typical MC where all guys act like manwhores and all girls are skanks. Sex in here is not meant to get you hot and flustered; it’s meant to drive an emotional impact home.

Is this a mindfuck?

200% yes. From the beginning to the very end, I felt like I was smacked upside down with plot twists. This story was so unpredictable, the characters unstable (some even volatile), and the psychological aspect added an extra layer of complexity to it all. Even now, I am still questioning whether the romance in here was more obsession or love. I think it’s both. An obsession turned into love and on the flip side where love for another turns into an obsession. If anything, the latter is confirmed with the revelation near the end of the book.

For me, this aspect was the most compelling. I think there are just some events, some things words are not enough to explain or account for, and the love/obsession is a prime example. You really have to experience it, feel it, to have a point of reference.

Cliffhanger, standalone, and series info

Once again, these topics are all subjective and opinion vs. fact. It is a fact that this is a series and book 2 will focus on these same characters. It is my opinion that this book doesn’t have a cliffhanger but of course I know some will say otherwise. The book has a full beginning, middle, and end and is very much a complete story, but the ending doesn’t resolve all the loose ends. That closure will be seen in the next book. But at the same time, even if there wasn’t a second book I would be completely satisfied with the way this one ended.

So yeah…this book is quite complex and difficult to explain in just a few words. I am still finding it hard to believe this is a debut novel. I can’t remember the last time a debut book has completely blown me away like this one did. I can undoubtedly say that this is a book that has it all.

Pre-review
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Minutes.

November 9, 2014 – Started Reading
November 9, 2014 – Shelved
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: i-trust-my-friends
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: bikers
November 9, 2014 –
100.0% "This is undoubtedly one of the best books I've ever read. See how fast I read it too?? *wipes tears*"
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: dark-taboo-forbidden-reads
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: douchenugget
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: i-love-my-friends
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: this-is-for-ana
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-schmorical
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
November 9, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)

Nana Sounds really good! Can't wait to read your review! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) It is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! I'll post as soon as I can ;)

Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) Hmm..I'm adding it to my TBR right now ;)

Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ OMG Fei!!! Cant wait to read your full review!! *adding it*;)

Arabella ~♡AB♡~ Oh gawd, I'm so in the minority here!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Sandyღ wrote: "OMG Fei!!! Cant wait to read your full review!! *adding it*;)"

Writing it tomorrow. Bedtime lol! :D ♥

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Arabella ~♡AB♡~ wrote: "Oh gawd, I'm so in the minority here!"

I actually thought I'd be in the minority too but this book really worked for me. The 'kidnapping' part, the historical setting and the mystery are some of my favorite aspects. I didn't like Ginny much but I loved the other main characters, especially Grizz and Grunt. Can't wait to read your review!! It'll be awesome to see a different opinion :D

Amy | Foxy Blogs Anticipating your review!!!

crashqueen73 Oooh thanks for sharing and also looking forward to your review!

message 11: by Gena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gena Puro WOW!!! Adding and maybe reading this now! So glad you loved it Feifei! Can't wait for your review! :)

message 12: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi Wow wow wow! Can't wait for your entire review!

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog I know exactly how you feel! 4 days later and I'm still reeling and trying to get my head around it. Look forward to your review!

Christie«SHBBblogger» High praise, Feifei! I'm so looking forward to your full thoughts! xoxo

Kirsten Awesome! Can't wait for your thoughts babe! x

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Boo - I went to add to my Kindle and it won't let me buy it! I will keep an eye on it though...

Jennifer Kyle Well Damn! Excited for your review Feifei xx

Amanda Slupecki I am about 60% done and I completely agree - it sucked me in!

message 19: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Adding it! ;)

message 20: by Baba (new)

Baba  Looking forward to your full review, Feifei! :)

message 21: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina Yey!! Another biker book!! Sounds great Feifei! I need my hot-biker fix!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lisa wrote: "Looking forward to your review, hun! :)"

Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Looking forward to your full review, Feifei! :)"

Barbara wrote: "Adding it! ;)"

Jennifer wrote: "Well Damn! Excited for your review Feifei xx"

Kirsten wrote: "Awesome! Can't wait for your thoughts babe! x"

Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "High praise, Feifei! I'm so looking forward to your full thoughts! xoxo"

Naomi wrote: "Wow wow wow! Can't wait for your entire review!"

Gena wrote: "WOW!!! Adding and maybe reading this now! So glad you loved it Feifei! Can't wait for your review! :)"

Pauline wrote: "Oooh thanks for sharing and also looking forward to your review!"

Amy (Foxy) wrote: "Anticipating your review!!!"

Thanks guys!! Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down until I finished 2 hours later. It's one of those you should go in blind to get the full impact :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Jenny - TotallybookedBlog wrote: "I know exactly how you feel! 4 days later and I'm still reeling and trying to get my head around it. Look forward to your review!"

I feel so lost! This one put me in a big book funk!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Vicky wrote: "Boo - I went to add to my Kindle and it won't let me buy it! I will keep an eye on it though..."

Wow! Did you try the Amazon store for your country if you're not in the US? I'm looking at the link right now and it's available for purchase.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Amanda wrote: "I am about 60% done and I completely agree - it sucked me in!"

It's completely unputdownable!! Enjoy :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Sabrina wrote: "Yey!! Another biker book!! Sounds great Feifei! I need my hot-biker fix!"

The sex is fade to black in here. It's not so much hot, it's more of a life story that revolves around these bikers :)

Ashley I just stayed up all night reading it. I couldn't put it down.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Ashley wrote: "I just stayed up all night reading it. I couldn't put it down."

I couldn't put it down either!

Ashley I've been disappointed lately in the books I have read. This one got a rare 5 star from me. Sooooo good!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Ashley wrote: "I've been disappointed lately in the books I have read. This one got a rare 5 star from me. Sooooo good!"

You couldn't have said it better! A 5 star from me too :)

message 31: by Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ (last edited Nov 10, 2014 11:53AM) (new) - added it

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Oooh! I don't even need your review. Your rating alone says all I need to know haha. Adding this one! <3

message 32: by Saffron (new) - added it

Saffron Yay!!! So glad you loved and yes, I do have eyeballs so I am picking it up real soon :DD

Beverly WHAT! I have to read this now! Can't wait to see your full review!

Donna ~ The Romance Cover I loved this one too and am still thinking about it 3 days later. Can't wait to read your review x

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lkay ❇✾The one-click buy button addict❇✾ wrote: "Oooh! I don't even need your review. Your rating alone says all I need to know haha. Adding this one! <3"

LOL! I think you'd like this one Lana :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "Yay!!! So glad you loved and yes, I do have eyeballs so I am picking it up real soon :DD"

Bahahaha yay! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Beverly wrote: "WHAT! I have to read this now! Can't wait to see your full review!"

You'd like this one Bev! :D

message 38: by Saffron (new) - added it

Saffron Love your review absolutely!!! Going to pick this up ASAP!! So freaking excited :DD

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Donna wrote: "I loved this one too and am still thinking about it 3 days later. Can't wait to read your review x"

I just posted it but it's more of a Q&A than review haha! I haven't done anything today but think about this book <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "Love your review absolutely!!! Going to pick this up ASAP!! So freaking excited :DD"

Yay, thanks friend! Fingers crossed you like it too :D

message 41: by EgyptDiva (new)

EgyptDiva I LOVED your review !! I'll have to message you for the details of the cheating/love triangle though .. So Glad you enjoyed it ;)

message 42: by Izy (new)

Izy Fabulous review Feifei :)

message 43: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Netzel I've heard only good things about this book. I'm sold.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) EgyptDiva wrote: "I LOVED your review !! I'll have to message you for the details of the cheating/love triangle though .. So Glad you enjoyed it ;)"

Just saw it! I'll reply now, and thanks!! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Izy wrote: "Fabulous review Feifei :)"

Thank you Izy! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) A.C. wrote: "I've heard only good things about this book. I'm sold."

It has so much to offer in almost every genre/sub-genre. I hope you like it too! :)

Lise *friends don't flag* OMG... Feifei. This is a 5 star review, love it!!!

Amy | Foxy Blogs awesome review!!! I love mc books... I'll have to consider this one.

Kristen I love this review! The Q&A were so helpful. Wonderfully done, Feifei. <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lise *friends don't flag* wrote: "OMG... Feifei. This is a 5 star review, love it!!!"

Thanks so much Lise!! Thrilled you loved it too :D