Mike's Reviews > Clariel

Clariel by Garth Nix

bookshelves: from-tbr, library-eaudio

I've long been a fan of the Abhorsen series, and when I discovered that this latest one was available in e-audio from my library I jumped on it. I'm very glad I did, so much so that I'm now listening to Sabriel from the same source (and will probably listen to the other two after that).

The narration is smooth and professional, and I found myself holding my breath when Clariel was having difficulty breathing, and saying "Clariel, no, no, no" out loud in the car when it looked like she was going to do something particularly tragic.

It is a tragedy, which I didn't realise upfront, but by the time I figured it out I was nearly at the end. I don't usually choose tragic fiction, but this is so well done I have no regrets.

Because I listened to an audio version, I can't comment on the editing, except to say that I noticed a few dangling participles early on. Otherwise, I was caught up in the story and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clariel.

November 9, 2014 – Shelved
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 15, 2014 – Shelved as: from-tbr
February 17, 2015 – Started Reading
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: library-eaudio
February 23, 2015 –
0.0% "Really enjoying this, despite his occasional dangling participles."
February 25, 2015 –
60.0% "Clariel: Stupid king, you should fix things!\n Everyone: Clariel, you could fix things.\n Clariel: NOPE NOPE NOPE"
March 6, 2015 – Finished Reading