Patrick Ross's Reviews > Ever Faithful to His Lead: My Journey Away from Emotional Abuse

Ever Faithful to His Lead by Kathleen Pooler

19248744

bookshelves: memoir

Kathleen Pooler has written a compelling contribution to the memoir genre. Her primary title hints at how the author's rediscovery of her core faith helped her to recover from some poor choices in life, but the bulk of the actual story can be found in the book's subtitle. What Pooler presents in a very honest way is a portrait of a woman who was a natural healer; this worked well with her career choices in the health care profession, but not in her choices of men, as she repeatedly found herself with broken men not interested in being fixed. (Can we truly fix others? That would seem to be another lesson of Pooler's book, that we need to focus on fixing ourselves, and liking ourselves, before we can partner with others.) We long for Pooler to learn to counter her passivity with more reasoned choices, but understand when she doesn't; we then wait to watch her learn what we, the omniscient reader, already know; that she has made another poor choice.

We all have made poor choices in our lives. What is not easy to do is to recognize that; act upon it; and then share that with the world. Pooler does so in her memoir with moving and poetic prose, and she does so without a woe-is-me voice that is most refreshing. This is a good read for anyone interested in the memoir genre, including anyone of any faith (or non-faith).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever Faithful to His Lead.

November 9, 2014 – Started Reading