Erin's Reviews > Minn and Jake's Almost Terrible Summer

Minn and Jake's Almost Terrible Summer by Janet S. Wong

Jul 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: poetry, realistic-fiction, short, tween
Read in January, 2009

I'm not a big poetry person, so I was not looking forward to this chunk of books. But I enjoyed this rhythmic novel. Minn and Jake almost have some permanent misunderstandings, so I especially enjoyed how they used communication to resolve their problems instead of just being mad. The humor was nice as well; we've all been in embarassing situations, and poor Jake managed to have more than his fair share. I identified with his being humiliated in front of people he'd rather impress. Another theme I liked was that the choices we all make lead us to where we are - we do have the power to change the course of the -almost- terrible summer we're experiencing.
This might appeal more to the upper elementary set, but should be equally balanced between boys and girls. The characters are likeable, there's humor, the moral isn't hammered in too hard, and the pictures help set off the story. And most everyone can identify with a story about friendship and interpersonal relationships.
Nothing obviously objectionable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minn and Jake's Almost Terrible Summer.