Kristin's Reviews > I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

I have to take Bill Bryson in small doses. He's still cranky and complaining in this book, but a lot of his profanity and crass humor was toned down here so I appreciated that! (I guess because these are articles collected into one volume. Not necessarily meant for the same audience as his books.) Some of them were really funny...the one about going to the beach stands out. But others were just mediocre.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm a Stranger Here Myself.

November 8, 2014 – Shelved
December 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 29, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own
August 30, 2018 – Started Reading
September 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Tayler McCrery I had similar feelings about this book when I read it earlier this summer! It was my first Bryson, and I haven’t written him off completely, but he didn’t do a good job of selling me on his style. His tone struck me as kind of condescending and he seemed to drone on about certain things for a little too long. I think that I’d like to pick up his Australia book sometime, mostly because Australia fascinates me. :) I feel like I need to give another one of his books a chance before I’ll know for sure if his writing is for me... or not. :)

Kristin Tayler wrote: "I had similar feelings about this book when I read it earlier this summer! It was my first Bryson, and I haven’t written him off completely, but he didn’t do a good job of selling me on his style. ..."

Yes, I have major issues with his style and yet I keep picking up his books! Ha, I think it's because I just love travel memoirs and they're not always easy to come by. I've read most of his travel books, probably 5 or 6 of them, and my favorite is the one about England. (Haven't read the sequel yet though I do own it.) I'd recommend that one. The Australian one is good too! I started with A Walk in the Woods and it's unusually crass and obnoxious...almost put me off his books altogether!

Tayler McCrery Thanks for recommending the one about England (for being such a geographically small country, it has so much depth and history and character!) and for letting me know that the Australian book wouldn’t be a terrible one to pick up either. :) Bryson definitely has me intrigued, but I feel like if I let some time pass before I try another one of his books there will be a greater chance that I’ll enjoy it. Your practice of Bryson in small doses seems to be the way to go. :D