Nick's Reviews > Mutated

Mutated by Joe McKinney

liked it
bookshelves: horror, read-ebooks, reviews, horror2010s, horror-joe-mckinney

This is the last book in the Dead World series and brings the zombie story to an end. I enjoyed the first three books, Dead City, Apocalypse of the Dead and Flesh Eaters and was looking forward to reading the final chapter.

This book is set 8 years after the initial outbreak which is a long time for a zombie outbreak. This raises questions such as what would have happened to the zombies after this length of time? What about the survivors? Would there be anyone, including zombies, left? The book attempts to answer these questions but does not quite provide believable answers.

There are 4 stages of zombies now with stage 3 having evolved to the point where they show human characteristics. The lead zombie is a stage 4, named the Red Man, who can control all zombies telepathically. I liked the Red Man, who is basically human with some zombie characteristics, and his army of zombies who are taking over control of all survivors. This book takes forward the idea of zombies and adds new elements.

However, while the 8 years has given the zombies this time to evolve not much has changed for the survivors. It reads like the zombie outbreak has just happened. There is plenty of ammunition, petrol and working vehicles. The biggest issue is that of an Ipad. How is this working after 8 years?How does it get charged? I like ambiguous endings in books and I don't expect all the answers but this did not make sense. I can believe in evolved zombies but not the Ipad.

There is plenty of gore and action as the story progresses with some nasty and brutal horror inflicted by the Red Man. An enjoyable zombie read which concludes the series.

Overall, I have enjoyed the Dead World books. A great zombie outbreak story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mutated.

November 8, 2014 – Shelved
January 17, 2017 – Shelved as: reviews
January 17, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 2, 2017 – Shelved as: horror2010s
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: horror-joe-mckinney

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Robjr73 (new)

Robjr73 I will eventually get to this series. I haven't been reading as much for some reason lately and that needs to change

Nick Yeah you better change otherwise you will fall down to my slooowwww reading level!