Rebecca's Reviews > Talon

Talon by Julie Kagawa

Nov 08, 2014

liked it

Best Cover EVER!!!

Seriously, this cover is absolutely beautiful and makes me happy.

I will begin by saying that I read some absolutely scathing reviews about this book, which made me a little hesitant to read it. It was the cover and Kagawa's reputation that made me pick it up.

I agree with many that Ember's character is a little lack-luster, but I don't think she is written as immaturely as others claim. I really enjoyed the build up with the supporting characters. For the entirety of the novel, the story is centered on Ember's inner struggle with her desire for the relaxing and fun human world, versus finding her place in the cut throat and scary world of Talon.

This book has action, romance, drama, and DRAGONS! The premise of the book is interesting, with two secret societies being at war with each other. Not original, but it translated well in the book. I have a deep love for dragons, and I really liked how Kagawa portrayed them. The Elders were especially cunning and arrogant--their words and body language dripping with the superiority I expect and love.

My big complaint, and the main reason why I'm rating this book 3 out of 5, is that I wanted to see more dragon stuff. The book is long--a little over 400 pages. There could have been so much more character and plot development had there not been multiple points of view in First Person. I really don't like multiple points of view being written in First Person. I loathe it. It annoys me to the brink of insanity. Just use Third Person. Seriously.

Also, the other aspect that could have made this book exceptional is that Ember, Garret, and Dante fell a little flat for me. I could have ignored one flat character, but when all three of the leading characters are flat, it really begins to bother me. Furthermore, there was something about the interactions that just seemed artificial. I didn't bond with these characters.

The second half of the book was pretty stellar. I wish that momentum had been consistent from beginning to end. Overall, I think this series has great potential and I recommend that you at least check it out and give it a try.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talon.

November 8, 2014 – Started Reading