Jerry B's Reviews > Rage

Rage by Jonathan Kellerman

Jul 05, 2010

Read in May, 2005

Alex Delaware in great form - brainy thriller for sure!

We're big fans of J. Kellerman, but find that sometimes the Alex Delaware stories drift so far from his child psychology specialty that it's tough to believe either the action or the detective work. But in this latest "intellectual" thriller, we spend much of the time reading dialogue between Alex and cop buddy Milo Sturgis dissecting a variety of perplexing clues; their skills at finding motives and posing possibilities are tasked to the limit. The tale starts with the killing of a toddler by two tough teens. Alex interviews them to help determine whether trials as adults make sense, but a plea bargain puts them both in youth prison without courtroom proceedings. One of the youths is murdered a month later, but the other survives eight years in jail (with scars galore) and comes out wanting to talk to Alex again, presumably with new information about the murder. Before the meet can take place, this youth's murdered body turns up and the race is on to figure out what is going on. Before it's over, the toddler's parents are involved, some "spiritual advisors" and foster parents are involved, and a clever but insidious killer is eventually unearthed. The application of justice at book's end is a fascinating conclusion, even though it seemed the novel ended a bit abruptly considering how totally absorbed we were in reaching the outcome.

Kellerman has crafted an intriguing plot, one that requires plenty of cerebral work on the part of both his leading men and the reader. Unraveling the eventual truth created tremendous suspense, sustained without some of the silly cops and robbers type action of some of the other Delaware stories. Delaware's love life was mostly on vacation as well, although new love interest (and fellow doc) Allison seemed to be losing the spark. Meanwhile, long-time ex-partner Robin has returned to LA, having dumped her singer boy toy, and we're left to wonder might happen there in what is bound to be our author's next release. It sounded like a tiring Milo is having thoughts of "pulling the pin" (retiring) as well -- will he? We're more than happy to recommend "Rage" as Kellerman and Delaware in the very fine form of his earlier works -- enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rage.