UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Naked Edge

Naked Edge by Pamela Clare

Another 5+ Star read from Pamela Clare!

There are just some authors who know their stuff, and Pamela Clare is one of them. Honestly, her stories never cease to amaze me! They are action packed and believable, addressing topics close to home that we only hear or read little bits about in the news. Regardless of the subject matter, I love how she imparts information, giving us more insight into what the characters are dealing with while keeping us fully engrossed in the story and invested in them as people. And how she always does this without bogging the story down in lectur-esque details is beyond me, but one thing all of her stories have in common is that much of what she writes about she’s experienced firsthand. There’s no guessing, no filling in details and hoping she got it right – her books comes straight from the pages of her life, and you can feel it in the characters, in their words and actions, in the way they live their lives – because Ms. Clare has lived it also.

And, Sweet Mary! Does this woman know how to write alpha males! They are the perfect combination of rugged, honorable, sexy, determined, intelligent, sexy, and devoted to their causes and to those they love. And wow, have I mentioned sexy?!? The heroines are people you can relate to, believe in and even though I’d rather have the heroes – any one of them – for myself, I’m wanting to see the females get their happily ever after so badly, that I’m willing to share! Yes, yes… so very selfless of me, but that’s just the kind of person I am.

So let’s talk about Naked Edge:

Katherine James is a Navajo environmental journalist on the I-Team, the Denver Independent newspapers's elite group of investigative reporters. Her background in Native American traditions, beliefs and ways of life give her a unique perspective when covering stories relating to the people. Kat has a very deep love and respect for the earth, and enjoys spending time at Mesa Butte with her friends, but one afternoon while sitting and enjoying the scenery alone, she hears a loud crack and feels the ground give way beneath her. Unable to find anything to grab hold of, she finds herself at the mercy of a rockslide. As darkness envelopes her, Kat’s last thoughts are, ’ I don’t want to die today.’ Lucky for her, it wasn’t her time to go.

Gabe Rossiter, Boulder Mountain Park Ranger, was enjoying his day off, getting in some rock climbing, when he hears a woman scream, glances over in time to see rocks sliding down the side of a slope and caught sight of the woman falling with them. Moving quickly, he made his way to where he knew the rocks would have come to a standstill and looked for the woman he was positive he had seen. Finding only her backpack, he was certain she was dead, having been buried under the debris. Only when he hears her cry out in pain does he realize that she’s managed to crawl away from the rockslide, despite her broken leg, and was making her way toward the trail in search of help. Doing what he could to stabilize her and calm her down, Gabe calls in their position and a rescue team gets there in no time, whisking Kat away from the accident and the man who saved her life.

A few months later, Gabe and Kat are brought together again in another unfortunate event when a sacred religious ceremony Kat is attending is violently disrupted by law enforcement personnel. Gabe arrives just in time to see Kat being dragged by the hair from the sweat lodge where the inipi ceremony was taking place, by an overzealous, with an exaggerated view of his own self importance – who, having no jurisdiction, shouldn’t have been there in the first place. One thing leads to another, reports are filed, threats are made, and Kat and Gabe find themselves in a fight for their lives.

The sexual tension in this book is through the roof! Gabe is carrying tons of baggage from his previous relationship with his fiancée who died three years earlier. Now, he’s all about sex, getting off, a real f*ck ‘em and leave ‘em style Don Juan. No more relationships for him – love doesn’t really exist. The only thing there might be between a man and a woman is sexual chemistry, nothing more. Kat, on the other hand, does believe in true love, and won’t give herself sexually to any man. She’s holding out for her true “half-side,” the one man who will complete her – much to Gabe’s dismay. But as I said, the sexual tension is high and the non-sex sex scenes are some of the hottest I’ve ever read. Wow… have a cold drink and a fan nearby – I’m just sayin’…

Kat is very different from any other female lead I’ve ever read. She has this amazing ability to love unconditionally, and such a calm, gentle spirit, that while I admired her, I wasn’t sure I could come to believe in her as a heroine who would be able to hold her own. I should have known better than to doubt. While she might come across and meek and mild, when the chips were down it was her quiet confidence, her inner strength, and her faith that kept her going. As the story is reaching its suspenseful climax, Kat has fought with everything she has in her to escape. When she realizes that struggling anymore at this particular moment won’t do her any good and that she needs to save her strength for when the opportunity arises and she really can fight back, she becomes so focused. So calm. She begins singing Native American songs from her childhood, and I loved that!! Throughout the book we see how important her heritage is to her, and in a time when she most needed a calm strength, she had that to draw from. For Kat, in my opinion, this is what made the difference between life and death.

I’m not going to go into anymore of the story itself, but I just have to say that toward the end of the book while performing an act of absolute selflessness that had me sobbing so hard I had to put the book down to compose myself, Gabe went from being a hero I really liked, to one I not only love, but adore, one who has earned a spot on my Top Heroes shelf. While the stories and the players change, one thing is a given - Anytime I pick up one of Pamela Clare’s books, I know exactly what to expect – a fabulous read that will have me thinking about the characters and their lives long after I’ve finished the story.

As an aside - If you choose to read Naked Edge, and I truly hope you do, once you get past Kat’s accident on Mesa Butte, go to Ms. Clare’s website and read about how she came up with this part of the story. You’ll be amazed. In fact, even if you choose not to read this book, at least read the author’s notes: http://www.pamelaclare.com/notes_nake...

And now I’ll leave you with this parting word of caution—I’ve noticed a strange phenomenon attached to Pamela Clare’s books. Whenever I’m reading her stories, I find that my furniture gets dusty, trash piles up and I run out of clean clothes, so be prepared because this is likely to happen to you, too.

The I-Team reading order, so far:

1. Extreme Exposure
1.5 Heaven Can't Wait - a novella found in the out of print anthology Catch of the Day and on ebook
2. Hard Evidence
3. Unlawful Contact
4. Naked Edge
5. Breaking Point
5.5. Skin Deep
5.9. First Strike
6. Striking Distance
----------

If you're already a Pamela Clare fan, or interested in learning more about her and her books, be sure to stop by our Pamela Clare Fan Group here on Goodreads!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Edge.

July 4, 2010 – Shelved
July 4, 2010 – Shelved as: author-pamela-clare
July 26, 2010 – Shelved as: series-i-team-clare
August 16, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-september
August 16, 2010 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
September 14, 2010 – Started Reading
September 14, 2010 –
page 1
0.28% "Finally, the wait is over and I can start Naked Edge. If you haven't yet tried this series, you're really missing out."
September 15, 2010 –
page 94
26.04% ""What you did proved to me that you care more about me than you care about sex. A man who cares only about sex stops only if a woman asks him to stop. Thank you for caring about me, Gabe Rossiter." --Katherine James"
September 16, 2010 –
page 200
55.4% "I really love this series, but it seems to have an odd phenomenon attached to it. When reading anything by this author, my house gets dusty, trash piles up and I run out of clean clothes. ***shakes head*** I just don't understand it."
September 17, 2010 – Finished Reading
September 18, 2010 –
page 370
100% "What an awesome story!!! I keep saying, if you haven't yet tried this series, you really need to stop putting it off. Gabe and Kat are wonderful together in this book and I don't know when the last time was that I cried so hard, or so long, because of one selfless act of love."
September 20, 2010 – Shelved as: 5-stars-or-higher
September 20, 2010 – Shelved as: selfless-actions
February 9, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
April 22, 2011 – Shelved as: mind-candy
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: own-have-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 200 (200 new)

Amanda Hi Dhestiny,
Finally i've finished reading Naked Edge of 1-Team series...I loved it.
In this book i still can get encountered with Julian and Hunter as well, very interesting!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm glad you loved it!!! I'll be reading it in a day or so myself. So far I've loved all of these books :)

Amanda Dhes, i loved it so much..!!
i've been re-read again last night.
Actually my reading mood was dropped when half way reading Maverick-LL and i fell sick.
But after reading this book it really boosted my energy & mood..LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish YAY!!!!!!! Did you finish Maverick? I really liked it but it was so, so heartbreaking.

Amanda Ya, i've finished Maverick, can say i liked the book but (not really loved it)
Wild Card is much better i guess, i cried buckets and re-read many times.
Anyway, i'm looking forward for PC's & LL's book.
Now, they are my favorite authors! Cheers..!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela Clare is totally my favorite RS author now.

Buggy I've got to find the time to read/start this series. I've heard nothing but good things and I want in.

Amanda Buggy, you should read the series soonest, for sure you'll love it like all of us..
I-team series like all-in-one RS package!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I think you'd love it, Buggy! The stories she writes about are actual stories she worked on or broke as a reporter. They're so full of detail, yet done in a way so as not to be a lecture. She does a great job of showing rather than telling and I love that!

Quinn I just finished this one and LOVED it! I think it is the best so far. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 14, 2010 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Quinn! I've been saving this one, but I can't wait any longer! I love this author's books!

Amanda I've been re-read this one now, but it's still as good as other I-Team series's books.
I Love this author's book too!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I finished this last night... no surprise here, it was fantastic, just like the others.

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I finished this last night... no surprise here, it was fantastic, just like the others."

Do you see Gabe as a romantic hero now?

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 18, 2010 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish OMG, OMG... I adore him... you'll know what I am talking about when I say he totally change my opinion of him in one fell swoop. I was sobbing. I had to put the book down...

YES, a romantic hero.... He's one of my absolute favorites, now.

**Sigh**

Now I have to wait for Breaking Point (I-Team, #5) by Pamela Clare and I don't know how I'm going to do it.

Beanbag Love You do remember that he's miiiiiiiiiinnnnnne, right?

(Waiting for Zach/Natalie is going to be the death of me. The excerpts PC posts are causing me so much stress!)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes, yes... he's yours... blah blah blah... just wait til you're not looking though, then all bets are off ;)

I know what you mean about the excerpts! Waiting is making me crazy, but I knew that would happen. I kept putting off reading NE because I knew we'd have a long wait for the next book. I think I'm already getting twitchy!

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Yes, yes... he's yours... blah blah blah... just wait til you're not looking though, then all bets are off ;)

*puts triple locks on doors to protect Gabe from UM's clutches*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Bean, did you read the author's note on her website about Gabe and Kat's story??? Holy cow!
If you haven't read it, do so NOW.

This is why her stories are so much better than most. The things she writes about really happened - to her.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Beanbag wrote: "I didn't realize the release was so far off, but now that I know I'm getting really squirrelly about it. And every excerpt is fraught with peril. I'm not sure I'm going to make it.

*puts triple locks on doors to protect Gabe from UM's clutches* "

I have her 3 non-highlander historicals here waiting to be read, but I really need to pace myself. July??? How am I supposed to wait that long for Breaking Point?

I'm watching you.

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Bean, did you read the author's note on her website about Gabe and Kat's story??? Holy cow!
If you haven't read it, do so NOW.

This is why her stori..."

I did. Talk about fraught with peril!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Indeed! And again, it's why her stories always ring true... they are true!

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Beanbag wrote: "Look, because we're friends, I won't make a play for Gabe, but you better treat him right.

I'm watching you. "

I can appreciate that. He's worthy of attention and care. I wouldn't trust anybody else either. Hence the triple locked doors. I'm watching you too.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ROFL!!!! What's that saying? Keep your enemies close? LOLOL

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "ROFL!!!! What's that saying? Keep your enemies close?"

... and keep Gabe closer ... mmmmm. ;^)

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Ladies, ladies, please.

I personally am going to put in a request with whoever's in charge of the universe to create multiple Gabe dimensions, because I want him, too. Well, and I want Julian and Marc (together, one at a time...) And right now I especially want Zach.

So multiple dimensions, multiple possibilities.

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 18, 2010 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela wrote: "Ladies, ladies, please."

Beanbag Love Pamela wrote: "Ladies, ladies, please.

So multiple dimensions, multiple possibilities.
"

Good idea! My Gabe dimension will have triple locked doors, though. You really have to keep your eye on UM. ;^)

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Ladies, ladies, please."

Would I seem greedy if I requested 3 of each? You know, so I'll have replacements for when I wear them out and they need to rest? :)"

See what I'm saying, Pamela? I didn't even know she'd posted that when I did my post. Triple locks. At least.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hmph! I don't know whheerrre you've gotten this bad impression of me that you have.

message 31: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I have a feeling UM will be so satiated and exhausted after her three Gabes are done with her that your triple locks won't be necessary. Then again, with men like that around, you could find yourself warding off lots of frenemies.

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela See, Beanbag, I don't think UM will dig into your Gabe supply. She'll have her own. :-)

Beanbag Love Pamela wrote: "I have a feeling UM will be so satiated and exhausted after her three Gabes are done with her that your triple locks won't be necessary. Then again, with men like that around, you could find yourself warding off lots of frenemies.
..."

Is that a threat? What? I'm not paranoid.

*adds more locks*

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela No, no threat. Just keep your locks then. Besides, you don't want people walking in on you. LOL!

Beanbag Love Nobody wants that. LOL.

message 36: by Pamela (new)

Pamela LOL!

You women crack me up. :-)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You know, while reading that one non-sex sex scene last night, I was really, really, really wishing I could get me a Gabe or 3. But every time we revisit Julian and Marc... I want them, too.

Pamela, is Will going to be ok? **sigh**

message 38: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Poor Will! He vanished from the series because someone (ME) didn't have the skill to keep adding more and more characters. I think he and Lissy have moved to LA or something. LOL! But, yes, he'll be okay.

As for wanting Gabe, then Marc, then Julian and so on...

That's okay. That makes you a member of Team RJMGZ.

I believe Beanbag is firmly on Team Gabe, however.

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 18, 2010 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish That's okay. That makes you a member of Team RJMGZ.

Yes, well, thanks a lot! You know me and now I'm staring at that and trying to figure out how to pronounce it! LOLOL

Poor Will. I always loved him, but he was never a "big player" in the stories. I did love his short story though. I'm glad you convinced whoever needing convincing to release that in ebook format.

Bean is being awfully quiet, actually. I think she's relocating with Gabe to a more sexured... I mean, seCured, location.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish RJMGZ - Rahjumgahzee?

message 41: by Pamela (new)

Pamela That works. It stands for Reece, Julian, Marc, Gabe, Zach. It's a team full of readers who can't have just one. LOL!

Beanbag is putting him in her sex vault.

I'm so glad you enjoyed "Heaven Can't Wait." It was a ton of fun to write.

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 18, 2010 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, I knew who it stood for. I'm thinking of having their names tattooed on my body. LOL

Have you ever considered a new marketing strategy, Pamela? Oh, I don't know... lets say life size, anatomically correct blow-up dolls, perhaps?

message 43: by Pamela (new)

Pamela ROFL! Interesting idea.

But what I do plan to do is get some mugs that have the covers and the "teams" on them. So a Team Julian mug, a Team Gabe mug, and so on. You should see the mug some friends sent me when I had my surgery. It names all the teams and certain specific sex acts. LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ooooohhhh, maybe you need to post pictures of your "get well" mug!!!!!!!!!

How is chapter 18 'coming' along? Hmmmmm???? ;)

message 45: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Chapter 18 is done, baby. Oh, yeah. You wanted a snippet...

I have your e-mail somewhere, right?

I didn't sleep a wink last night. Just decided at 7:30 AM to give up and get up.

Sigh.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yep, you've got it!

You poor thing! :( Have you ever tried melatonin?

Rhonda I cried like a baby reading this book, this book was emotionally draining, sad and happy. It seemed like when the tears would start to dry up, they'd start flowing again!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Rhonda wrote: "I cried like a baby reading this book, this book was emotionally draining, sad and happy. It seemed like when the tears would start to dry up, they'd start flowing again!"

Exactly!!! They were both so wonderful, and that one final act of selflessness by Gabe showed just how much he truly, TRULY, loved her. I was sobbing.

message 49: by Rhonda (last edited Sep 18, 2010 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhonda I can't wait for Breaking Point (I-Team, #5) by Pamela Clare.
I wanna lick the cover already!!! LMAO

Beanbag Love Okay, Pamela, I go shopping for just a minute (okay a few hours) and you're handing UM (she's dangerous, don't turn your back!) snippets and making fun of my Gabe vault.

@UM: I think I was up until 4 a.m. reading this book. There's a point where you just can't put it down and you've just GOT to make sure everything's going to be okay.

*sighs* I know what I'm rereading next.

« previous 1 3 4