Christie«SHBBblogger»'s Reviews > Scenes from the City

Scenes from the City by Penny Reid

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

Title:Scenes from the City
Series:Knitting in the City #4.5
Author:Penny Reid
Release date: December 1, 2014
Rating:5 stars
Cliffhanger:No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Penny Reid has become one of my all time favorite authors and I don't see that ever changing. Every single book she puts out is close to my heart, I just adore her characters and her quirky storylines, they deeply resonate with me which makes me wonder....how does this woman do it??! It's highly improbable for me to enjoy every single thing an author writes but no matter how many times I read a new book, I come away feeling so happy and satisfied. I've come up with some possible explanations:

1) She is my Spirit Author (similar to spirit animal, but better.)

2)She's my twin, separated at birth and has that uncanny twin psychic power

3)She's just a kickass, humble, witty and intelligent person who writes for the true love of it and it comes across in her books effortlessly.

I'm going with choice 1 or 3....but two could be entirely possible. Please excuse me, I freely admit I am a Penny Reid fanatic and I may gush a little bit. I kind of feel like this would be me if I ever met her, this is how much I love her...

As this is just a short novella, there's not a lot of material to critique, but I'm just going to do mainly a picture review with some of my favorite quotes. There are four "scenes" with couples from all the previous books as well as a 100 page introduction to Greg and Fiona when they met in college. As expected, I just devoured every written word in this book and was so giddy over getting a few extra moments with each couple.

In the first scene, Neanderthal Seeks Honeymoon, we get some bonus time with Janie and Quinn. This is my personal favorite couple and I was so excited to get a peek into their honeymoon. In her usual geeky glory, Janie is her usual analytical self in-between all the sexing she and Quinn enjoy. She has a couple of surprises for her new groom and I have a feeling that he will forever be surprised by her no matter how many years they're together. I love his tenderness toward her and his insatiable appetite for his wife.

Scene 2, Friends Definitely with Benefits, is with Elizabeth and Nico. Elizabeth is struggling to adjust to the fact that she is now married (unexpectedly) and more importantly, she doesn't remember her wedding. When she has a really tough day at the hospital, Nico is there to lovingly support her and kiss away her tears. *sigh* Could he be any sweeter?

In scene 3, Hacking the Hacker, Sandra and Alex mark one of Sandra's lifetime to-do's off of her list. As ever, he's there to give her whatever her little heart desires, no matter how outlandish it might be. I just love Sandra and Alex together. They have a sexy camaraderie and natural, easy feel to them and I loved seeing Sandra live out one of her wishes in only a way Penny could give us.

Scene 4, Beauty and the Beard.....There isn't a word to describe how much I LOVED this glimpse into Ash and Drew's reunion after a long separation. The missing love letters from Drew?! The surprise early arrival from Drew right at the opportune time?

Perfection. Total poetic, sizzling perfection.

And finally, in Ninja at First Sight, we get to meet Greg and Fiona in a wonderful pre-introduction before their full story comes out next year.

This was the longest of the stories and it made me even more excited about their upcoming book. As usual, both characters were intelligent, funny, and well planned out and executed. I fell a little bit in love with Greg and his somewhat cynical and arrogant personality and how he was exposed and duly admonished by the shy and quiet Fiona. She's a little socially awkward, (nothing like Janey though) but she immediately clicks with Greg and they have a way of talking to each other that reaches past the surface and digs down deep. As Greg's true feelings unfold, we see how special she is to him and how he silently adored her from afar.

I can't wait to see how Penny brings us into their heads in the future. I was already planning on reading it of course, but now, the release can't come soon enough.

If you've read the Knitting in the City series, this is a wonderful addition even if you aren't partial to novellas like myself. Although the page count is short, the feels are still in abundance for anyone who adores these couples she has created and you won't be disappointed with getting to spend a little more reading time with them. Plus, you'll have the privilege of helping Penny in her generous donation to the worthy cause 'Toys for Tots'. All proceeds from this novella goes to helping needy children have a better Holiday. Thank you Penny for giving me an early Christmas present...as always you gave us a memorable and lovely trip back into our favorite characters' lives.

FOLLOW SMOKIN HOT BOOK BLOG ON:

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusSmokin Hot Book BlogEmailGoodreadsPinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scenes from the City.

November 7, 2014 – Shelved
November 7, 2014 – Shelved as: up-next
November 8, 2014 – Started Reading
November 8, 2014 –
1.0% "Here I go!!!!! \n \n Ahhhhh! Fresh Penny Reid goodness! I'm in book nerd heaven!"
November 8, 2014 –
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: laugh-out-loud
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: part-of-a-series
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: sweet-and-light
November 9, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

message 1: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi Should I start this series?? You seem to love it! ;p

Christie«SHBBblogger» OMG!!! YES!!!!

Lol. Can you tell I love this series? I have a review for all of them except the second book I think. Her books are amazing because they are so UNIQUE and FUNNY. I laugh my ass off at these characters she comes up with. I just want to bring them to life, shrink them, and put them in my pocket. Haha. I highly recommend. xoxo

message 3: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi I can definitely tell!!! Haha! I'll go and read your reviews and buy the first one. And I'll let you know what I think! ;))

Christie«SHBBblogger» Naomi wrote: "I can definitely tell!!! Haha! I'll go and read your reviews and buy the first one. And I'll let you know what I think! ;))"

EEEK! Ah, I hope I can cause a Penny Addiction...hehe. I'll be excited to see what you think. Most of my friends have crazy love for her as well so hopefully you won't hate me for my rec. LOL. *fingers crossed*

message 5: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi I won't hate you either way Christie! Don't worry and having read the synopsis I think I'll like it!

♥Sharon♥ Just finished with Drew and Ash. Now your comment is making complete sense to me!! LOL

Christie«SHBBblogger» Haha! That scene was just a tease!!! Lol! I loved it. :D

♥Sharon♥ Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Haha! That scene was just a tease!!! Lol! I loved it. :D"

God Drew is something else. Really I think I am in love. LOL

Christie«SHBBblogger» ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Haha! That scene was just a tease!!! Lol! I loved it. :D"

God Drew is something else. Really I think I am in love. LOL"

Step aside, wench I saw him first. Hehehe. ;)

♥Sharon♥ Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Haha! That scene was just a tease!!! Lol! I loved it. :D"

God Drew is something else. Really I think I am in love. LOL"

Step aside, wench I saw hi..."

LMAO! I've never been called a wench before!! :)

Christie«SHBBblogger» Hehe. Me either. It sounded like a catty word so I went with it. ;)

♥Sharon♥ Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Hehe. Me either. It sounded like a catty word so I went with it. ;)"

It's great. I'm definitely going to reuse it!!

Alexandra I can't wait to read this one and the next and ... I'll read anything From Penny Reid!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Alexandra wrote: "I can't wait to read this one and the next and ... I'll read anything From Penny Reid!"

I'm with you, girl!!!! I adore Penny's books. Pure magic. <3

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Fantastic review, Christie!

Christie«SHBBblogger» ~♥~Cathy~♥~ wrote: "Fantastic review, Christie!"

Thanks, Cathy! <3<3<3

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Fantastic review!!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Beverly wrote: "Fantastic review!!"

Thank you, Bev! Gah! Besides the fact that half of my pics weren't showing up, right? LOL! I think I fixed it though.

♥Sharon♥ Wow! Great review Christie. I love it. xo

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fantastic review, Christie!xo

Christie«SHBBblogger» ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Wow! Great review Christie. I love it. xo"

Thanks so much, Sharon! I can't get enough of Peeny. Hehe. <3<3

Christie«SHBBblogger» Arianna wrote: "Fantastic review, Christie!xo"

Thank you, Arianna! xo :D

message 23: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Awesome review, Christie.

Christie«SHBBblogger» Patrycja wrote: "Awesome review, Christie."

Thanks, babe! <3 :)

message 25: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Glad you enjoyed love! Super review!!<3

Christie«SHBBblogger» Eliza wrote: "Glad you enjoyed love! Super review!!<3"

Thanks, babe! <3 I always enjoy my Penny Reid books! xoxoxo

message 27: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Montoya I absolutely adore your review, you couldn't have described it better. We are sisters of The Knitting in The City series; I always love to discuss these books with you and I always look forward reading your reviews with the amazing graphics. Great job my friend, I can't wait to read more about Greg and Fiona... xoxoxo

Christie«SHBBblogger» Dee is Elec's Lucky Charm ♣️♣️ wrote: "I absolutely adore your review, you couldn't have described it better. We are sisters of The Knitting in The City series; I always love to discuss these books with you and I always look forward ..."

Thank you sweetie!! Yes we are, I enjoy chatting about Penny's books and having someone who gets how special her stories are to share them with. Greg and Fiona need to hurry up and get here because I am ready for their book and very impatiently waiting. ;)

message 29: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Montoya Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Dee is Elec's Lucky Charm ♣️♣️ wrote: "I absolutely adore your review, you couldn't have described it better. We are sisters of The Knitting in The City series; I always love to discuss these bo..."

I know!!! after that beautiful scene, I need more, like right now....

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) What an awesome review Christie! I've only read the first book in this series but you really tempt me to keep continuing with the other books. Lovely pics!!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Thank you so much, sweet friend! As you can tell, I just love this author's work and this is no exception. If you get a chance, you should check the rest out. Beauty and the Mustache was another one that at the very top of the list in the series. I highly recommend it. <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) That's the one that's recommended to me most! Is it okay if I jump right to that one or do I need to read them in order?

Christie«SHBBblogger» Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "That's the one that's recommended to me most! Is it okay if I jump right to that one or do I need to read them in order?"

Oh, you can read them out of order. They're standalone, but you may get some minor spoilers about previous books of course. You will not be lost about what's going on though. :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "That's the one that's recommended to me most! Is it okay if I jump right to that one or do I need to read them in order?"

Oh, you can read them out of order. They'r..."

Awesome! Thanks so much :))

Alexandra Christie, I loved your review <3
The pics, the quotes, everything! I want to read this novella so much but reading your review made the waiting a little bit more tolerable :)
Great job!!!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Thank you, Alexandra! I really appreciate it. <3 If you're a Penny fan you're sure to love this. Not much longer and it will be here. xoxo

message 37: by Simona (last edited Nov 13, 2014 04:36AM) (new)

Simona Misevska Amazing review Christie,love you pictures..!!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Thanks, sweetie!! <3

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Amazing and beautiful review as always, Christie! ♥♥ You never cease to amaze me with your reviews!! :) Definitely hearing high praises for this author, if only I could tackle my TBR faster and get to these reads!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Thanks Jasmine!<3<3 You're such a sweetheart. :) Haha! I think we all know what you mean about the TBR. It's always growing. LOL. I hope you can get to one of hers at some point. She's worth giving a shot. xoxo

Geri Reads Amen, sistah! Love Penny's work. I think she's one of those authors that would always work for me simply because she writes the type of stories and characters I want to read. :)

Christie«SHBBblogger» ♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥ wrote: "Amen, sistah! Love Penny's work. I think she's one of those authors that would always work for me simply because she writes the type of stories and characters I want to read. :)"

Yes she is!!! Some authors you just click with completely and that's the case with me and Penny. <3<3

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ Terrific review my dear! And YES to all the 3 choices above. I mean it. But not twin, triplets, because I feel like this too. lol
almost one week since I read this! Do I have it in me to wait 8 months for Greg and Fiona? Sigh...
xx

Christie«SHBBblogger» Lol...I will allow you in as a triplet. I see adequate Penny love from you! Hehehe.

*sigh* Greg and Fiona are wayyyy too far away, but I'm slightly mollified by the fact that she's giving us so many new releases next year. She's a busy lady! The Hooker and the Hermit is one that I am abolutely DYING to read. xoxo

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Lol...I will allow you in as a triplet. I see adequate Penny love from you! Hehehe.

Okay! EYES on the HOOKER, then! ;))

Christie«SHBBblogger» Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ wrote: "Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Lol...I will allow you in as a triplet. I see adequate Penny love from you! Hehehe.

message 47: by Saffron (new)

Saffron awesome review Christie <3

Christie«SHBBblogger» Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "awesome review Christie <3"

Thank you, Supreet!! <3<3

message 49: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi Fab review, Christie! xo

Christie«SHBBblogger» Naomi wrote: "Fab review, Christie! xo"

Thank you, Naomi! :) xx