Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > The Art of Hearing Heartbeats

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Nov 07, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: audio

When this one first came out, it must have flown under my radar. But it was a selection for one of my book clubs, so I picked it up on audio. It is a very sweet generational story about an enduring love affair between a blind boy and a girl with deformed feet who cannot walk. When a couple such as this finds each other and they complement each other's deficiencies, it just a tad precious. Plus it takes place in Burma, which gives the reader a sense of that side of the world. The language is beautiful...translation here worked well.

But. I rated this a 3 (probably would have been a 3.5 if I had the option) for a reason. The story was just a little TOO sweet, a little TOO predictable, and there was a "reveal" or two that seemed to treat the reader like they were dense, when I'm sure most people saw this stuff coming a mile away. I sensed that there was a concentrated push towards the end for tears, and I do not like that. It reminded me somewhat of a Khaled Hosseini novel, but with a little less grace and epic storytelling.

The audio was narrated by Cassandra Campbell, who really excels at these types of books. She has a smooth, gentle voice that makes an enjoyable listening experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Hearing Heartbeats.

November 7, 2014 – Started Reading