Sarah Hyatt's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

did not like it

No, thank you.

I was supposed to love this book and as I always do when I find myself super disappointed, I looked back through other reviews to see if I was alone. I don't think I am alone, but no one is expressing my disappointment quite how I need it to be expressed, so I get to do that myself this time around.

I just kept waiting... and waiting... and waiting. The moment it was going to get good and awesome had to be right around the corner! Soon I would get past all the filler and all the fluff and dig into the heart of the book! It would be so great! I was so excited!

And then I realized I had under fifty pages left.

In the book, I waded through:

A lot of celebrity name droppingI never figured out if it was supposed to be ironic, sarcastic, cute... I'm not sure. There is no way to do this that isn't obnoxious. Even with a disclaimer about it being obnoxious, it is still obnoxious. If you genuinely, really need to tell a story about your friend who happens to be a famous celebrity person, and they are really a part of the story, by all means, please tell it. But if there is no story, or one that is only half-told or glossed over.... There is no point.

A lot of filler. Her parents wrote parts of it. And then some other dude wrote part of it. And then there was a chapter of footnotes as a joke, which was super funny back in 1990 something, but which really just take up space and make reading difficult. Lists! Copy pasted emails! There was a lot of writing about writing a book. Hey, Amy? JUST DO THE THING.

A lot of confusion: Stories started and stopped. Kindergarten, mid-twenties, what? Are we going back to kindergarten? Did I miss something? Is that thread going to be picked up again? How does this connect? TRANSITION SENTENCES WOULD HELP.

A lot of trying to be funny... and not being funny. Which is weird because I think Amy is a very funny person. But the book comes off as cloying, it's too much "THIS IS FUNNY" and not enough content. It feels like trying (and also not trying at the same time. Maybe this book is better than I thought because that really is a momentous feat). Maybe it just didn't translate well to print. I don't know.

The highlight of the book for me was the mention of Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear. Because that book is fantastic and true. I like that Amy pointed out exactly why it is awesome and why the situation with the producer was uncomfortable (she said no, he kept asking). De Becker has helped me to identify these little things that feel "off" to me and allowed me to pinpoint why, so I appreciate this type of thing. But now, I'm reviewing The Gift of Fear instead of this book. And if that's my main takeaway, something is wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

Started Reading
November 7, 2014 – Shelved
November 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Katie Yes to everything you said! Your second-to-last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Totally right about it seeming like she was trying too hard while simultaneously not trying much at all - I think in one sentence, that's what bothered me about this book.

Sarah Hyatt Yes! It was surreal. But it definitely felt like both things happened.

Mara Lamb Thank you for this. Agree agree agree!! Sadly:(

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Agree! Just not enough content.

Candace Agree completely! Pretty disappointing.

Novels and Noms. Totally agree. I wanted to love it too, but instead was just "eh" and took me forever to finish!

Iscribbler You captured what I thought exactly. Way too cloying and obnoxious and I really wanted to like it. :(

Kayla I enjoyed the book, but agreed with your thoughts on it. I think the difference for me is I wasn't expecting it to be the next great read, so I was kind of "pleasantly surprised". I think the woman is a genius, but never expected her to be an amazing writer for something this long.

Shanae yes, a thousand times! I was so disappointed.

message 11: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Rendell when did dirt become art

Jessica Perfect review

Sallie I couldn't agree more. Well said.

message 14: by Luke (new) - rated it 2 stars

Luke Johnson You said it better than I could

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma Featherstone I agree, sadly. As I too wanted to really love this book. It's still sitting on my bedside table with a bookmark in it, halfway through from a few months ago when I kind of gave up on it. I think I expected something more like Fey's Bossypants which was hilarious and well written.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Chorzempa Spot on! Fame as an actress or screenwriter does not necessarily mean you can author a book.

Sabra Ditto what you said!

Maggie I liked reading your review because I am currently reading the book via audiobook and think it is good but have thought to myself more than once that if I was actually reading the book I probably would not like it as much. I've never seen the print version of the book but it feels like she wrote the book for the audiobook format.

message 19: by Ally (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ally Thank you! You said it perfectly!

message 20: by BB (new) - added it

BB I expected to love this book too! I loved loved loved Amy Poehler in Parks and Recreation sadly this book was everything you said. i kept waiting and waiting for the name dropping to stop and the real amazing book I was waiting for to arrive. Sadly it never did.

Hayley Cianca Yes! 100% agree with your entire review. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Renee Attewell Totally agree!! Love Amy, just not her book

Cristina I felt like she was too busy to write it so she threw some half assed shit together at the last minute. And I do love her. But her book...not so much.

Narnia thank you!

Camber You're definitely not the only one!

Alika Thompson I'm guessing I enjoyed this book then, as I went into it not as a huge Poehler fan, but as someone wanting to know what a celebrity life was like and how she got where she is today. She tells these stories. She talks about herself, the reality of her life, and shares her observations. She's not acting in this book, she's being herself. Funny people don't always have to put on a show. Why do we expect them to keep on dancing like monkeys in everything they do?
Dance damn it! Dance!

(Yes, I listened to it. That may have helped.) No, it wasn't hilarious, but there were definitely funny parts. Especially the last chapter. A true showman, she ends it with a flourish.

Andrew I agree! Your review caught my attention because towards the end of the book I said to my wife Yes, Please? More like No, Thank You!

Sabra Ditto!

Stargirl I am happy (not really that I didn’t enjoy the book) to find I was not the only one to notice the pointless namedropping. I thought for a moment I was alone being annoyed by it ;!

message 30: by Stef (new) - added it

Stef I only read a little bit of it so far, but already I agree with everything you are saying.

message 31: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Marie Too many words describing stories that led nowhere. I’m listening to the audiobook and although it is 8 hrs long I already feel I’ve had enough. Next!