Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > The Blind Assassin

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Jul 04, 2010

bookshelves: fall-2011, great-literary-fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, permanent-library, literary-fiction
Recommended to Anne (Booklady) by: Mother
Read 3 times. Last read September 1, 2011 to September 7, 2011.

This book sat on my shelf for several months before I had the courage to read (in my opinion) Atwood's best work. Blind Assassin is for the serious or the literary reader. And, very quickly we are thrown into a novel within a novel. The name? Blind Assassin written by Laura chase and published posthumously after her death in 1945 by her sister, Iris.

Iris discovers: "Nothing is more difficult than to understand the dead, I've found; but nothing is more dangerous than to ignore them."

Did Laura purposely drive off that bridge? Do Iris' relationships to her father, much older husband, Alex, and even to Laura die in that car as well? Which sister is Laura writing about in her novel? And who is the male lover in Blind Assassin that tells fantastical Sci Fi stories. Are they actually parables lifted from Laura and Iris' life to explain or justify each girl's choices? Or they something else, still yet defining Laura and Iris?

Atwood never yields to cynicism, or contempt for her characters. The result is a rich world of layered truths and lies of Laura and Iris. Atwood uses Iris to tell their story, define their relationships-all of them-to understand the dead and finally lay them to Rest in Peace. Thus Iris is revealed, and finally at peace with her life-warts and all, in the autumn of her own life.

This book deserves more stars than this rating and the time it takes to read this wonderful story. I was very disappointed that I had come to the last word. This marvelous book is a gem of an addition to my book collection and hopefully to yours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Assassin.

Finished Reading