Karen's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jul 04, 2010

bookshelves: finished-series
Recommended for: Everyone

The Hunger Games grabbed my full attention within the first 40 pages. I spent every spare minute with my nose between the pages and wow, what a fabulous read. The words just flowed and my imagination went wild!

Katniss, the main character, takes the place of her sister in the annual Hunger Games - a reality tv show run each year by the evil 'Capitol' where only one of the 24 contestants will come out alive. It's a fight for survival for the unfortunately kids who get chosen - one boy and one girl from each District, who are all between the ages of 12 and 16.

A truly original concept. In the back of the book there is an interview with the author, Suzanne Collins, where she states that she came across this idea whilst flicking the tv channels, one side had a programme about war and another a reality tv show.

I recommend this book to all my friends. It has to be one of the best books I've ever read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

July 4, 2010 – Shelved
August 8, 2010 – Started Reading
August 9, 2010 –
page 40
9.17% "I've only read 40 pages and it's already sucked me in! I hope the rest of the book is just as good."
August 11, 2010 –
page 250
57.34% "Wow!"
August 11, 2010 –
page 389
August 12, 2010 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2012 – Shelved as: finished-series

Nicki The second one is even better I think! Looking forward to the last one :)

Karen Great! I have ordered it and it should be with me tomorrow. Is Mockingjay going to be the last one of the series?

Nicki I'm pretty sure there's only going to be three but I guess you never know!

Jami I can't imagine how the movie version will translate. It's one thing to read about children killing children but to see it on the big screen.... especially the ending