Morgan F's Reviews > Wild Roses

Wild Roses by Deb Caletti

Jul 03, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, own, 2000s, its-a-girl, read-2010, realistic, medium-sized, romance, music, mental-illness, washington, family

Before this I've only read another book by Deb Caletti (The Nature of Jade), and it was just okay. Thankfully, I liked this one much much better.

This book was about Cassie Morgan, who has divorced parents, and a step-father who is a famous violinst. To the outside world, Dino may seem like a genius musician and composer from a small town in Italy, but Cassie knows the truth. Dino is a terrifying, selfish, insane bully, who just gets crazier and more paranoid every day. Cassie can't imagine why her mom fell for him, and doesn't want anything to do with love....that is, until she meets Ian Waters, Dino's new protege.

I really liked this book. I found Cassie to be a wonderful narrator. She was both funny and insightful. There were many parts where I was nodding in agreement or stifling laughter. Denifite quotable material. Initally though, I didn't quite like the style. It seemed a little too informal for my taste, but I quickly got over it.

I found the characters lively and three-dimensional. Except for Ian. I did not like him. He was hardly in the book, which made the romance seem improbable. I liked this book, but I wouldn't consider it a romance. In fact, it would have been fine without any romantic aspects at all. Just the family dynamic seemed enough.

I was also surprised with how everything turned out. It's not a suspenseful edge-of-your-seat book, but is certainly absorbing.

I will definitely be checking out more of Deb Caletti's books in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Roses.

July 3, 2010 – Started Reading
July 3, 2010 – Shelved
July 3, 2010 –
page 14
4.38% "I do not like the writing style. Hopefully, I shall get used to it. Oh, and the name Dino reminds me of dinosaurs. *grins*"
July 4, 2010 –
page 77
24.06% "I love all the little details Caletti brings to mind."
July 5, 2010 –
page 180
56.25% "Cassie is hilarious."
July 6, 2010 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 24, 2011 – Shelved as: music
April 24, 2011 – Shelved as: mental-illness
April 24, 2011 – Shelved as: washington
April 24, 2011 – Shelved as: family

Arlene Great review Morgan. I just finished this last night and really liked it too.

Morgan F Yay :)