Joey's Reviews > Speaker for the Dead

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction

I mean, its interesting how he sets up his plots with time : Characters use light speed to bump around, and while for people on planets time ages 50 years, the people on the ship don't age more then a couple of days. THIS I like.

But I'm sick of his subtle racism; I'm a bit sick of how Card pretends to be able to view people like an open book - his characters can PREDICT exactly how other characters will act, due to their personality type etc.

And we'll see if the plot has a pay-off, Its just a bit mediocre.

PS: And I'm sick of his vapid discussions on "religion" - where he constantly brings up "calvinism," "catholicism," "mormonism," and his own goofy agnostic space thing : its a bit preachy at times.

And his use of Portuguese to help individualize his focus planet in here : something called Luscitania : is more funny then interesting.

PPS: Oh and one more thing. The names he picks for 'entire alien species' - seem like straight out of a 10 year olds pokemon imagination: "buggers" - this name is used for 1000s of years SERIOUSLY to describe an insect like species that is intelligent etc: and "piggies" for another talking species on Luscitania. Fucking ridiculous. Amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaker for the Dead.

Finished Reading
May 8, 2007 – Shelved
May 8, 2007 – Shelved as: science-fiction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jesse Daniels youbsir appear to have nonidew what you are talking about, from the fact that the Lusitania has great significance to the fact that there does not seem to be a shred ofnracism in this book, I don't think you understood the book at all.

Brian Peterson The piggies are referred to as pequeninos by scientists, but who (among ordinary people) would use a four syllable word when two syllables will do?

'Bugger' is likewise used in Ender's Game informally and there is a fancier name, 'Formics' that also gets used, so I think this is completely reasonable. I can't recall if people on Lusitania still call the buggers buggers 3000 years later; if they do, that's a bit weird, I guess. But I think most of the references to them are in Ender's head probably.

Brian Peterson Also, where is this subtle racism you referenced, but didn't explain?

message 4: by Jebb (new) - added it

Jebb Because they have a personality type he can predict what they are going to do. Thats why its a personality type. Thats why they made them. so you could more easily predict and understand what another person would do based on their personality...