Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Nov 06, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: audio

Let me just state for the record that I would not have picked this book up in a million years if my book club had not chosen it. In fact, I was thinking about NOT reading it and just showing up for the wine and food. Damn, I'm such a rule-follower. I'm probably going to come across like a cranky, bitter shrew but sappy, predictable books that set out to make you cry are just not my thing. It didn't help that the audio version of this book was full of sound effects and overly dramatic soap opera-type music. Much eye-rolling ensued.

There are good messages here that give some food for thought. The premise is that after you die and before you go to heaven, you have a little convo with five people that were either influential to you in your life, or vice versa. These are not necessarily all your loved ones, but people you may not even remember. OK so that makes one stop and wonder how we influence those we come in contact throughout our life. I would also chime in that I would love to chat with my grandmothers during this in-between time. If you have lost someone recently, this book could really have an impact on you. This wasn't a Fifty Shades of Grey experience...the book did have it's good points.

I just found it incredibly trite and corny. But hey, it was only five hours long. The author narrated the book and he did a fine job. I could have done without all the other noise however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

November 6, 2014 – Started Reading
November 6, 2014 – Shelved
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: audio
November 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita I saw the choice and cringed. This one won't bring me back. Ha ha. I really do want to get back, but I'm not reading this one. :)

Sandy Nawrot I know Anita. Only because it was short that I decided what the heck. But next month is Eleanor & Park.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Oh that is good and I have an e book of it already!! I'll check Facebook for the date.