Adelynne's Reviews > Hotwire

Hotwire by Cindy M. Hogan

I must admit, I didn't read this first book, Adrenaline Rush, before reading Hotwire. In fact, I still haven't read it- and now I really want to. Hotwire is a very enjoyable young adult mystery/thriller novel with a spunky main character and unique side characters. It's also able to be read as a standalone novel, so no worries about Adrenaline Rush!

This is a rather fun and light mystery that keeps you guessing throughout the story. I think my main problem with Hotwire was simply that it was too light for me. It doesn't mean that Hotwire was bad; it's mostly just a matter or preference. Hotwire isn't necessarily detailed in its descriptions of settings or characters, but it makes up for that in the plot. It's fast-paced and exciting to the end.

The romance is not the main focus of the story but Christy's relationship and interactions with Jeremy is an important part of Hotwire. Since Jeremy is Christy's handler (they interact a lot because of this), their romance is "forbidden". The romance didn't really have that "forbidden" taste going on for me, and it seemed kind of silly to add that there. And I just didn't find Jeremy to be an attractive or likable character. Maybe it's because I didn't read the first book, but I just wasn't really able to understand the full scope of their relationship and who Jeremy was.

Overall though, I really enjoyed Hotwire and I'll be adding Adrenaline Rush to my to-read list- it looks like it's going to be a fun read and it'll be nice to get more background on Christy. This book is definitely recommended for YA mystery lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotwire.

November 5, 2014 – Started Reading