Diana Parparita's Reviews > Abigail Abernathy: All-Night Analytical Engine Analyst

Abigail Abernathy by T.R. Goodman

bookshelves: steampunk

I would have given the story two stars if it had been edited, or at least properly proofread, but I found the occasional missing word and typo to be rather irritating. On top of that, I could not find the plot interesting or the characters endearing. I'd usually root for a young woman who tries to earn a living in a profession considered a man's job, or in a society where any job is considered a man's job, but I found I could't actually care whether or not Abigail would manage to keep her job, since she seems to have got that job as a favour and her job seemed ludicrously easy. Having worked as tech support, I know from experience that there is a fairly large number of men who will insist, in this day and age, that they need the help of a man as they are certain their problem could never be fixed by a woman, no mater how well qualified she may be or how trifling the problem might be. I found it downright insulting that the author has shown Abigail, living in a society where the vast majority of women are confined to being obedient housewives, to have been met with mere surprise and not an ounce of misogyny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abigail Abernathy.

Started Reading