Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons

Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit by Il Sung Na

Jul 02, 2010

bookshelves: childrens, nature, non-fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Read on March 07, 2011

Well, for me, there’s no denying this is a gorgeous book, starting with the textured look of the end papers, and going through all the illustrations. They’re beautiful and unusual. At the end of the book the reader is told that they were created: “by combining handmade painterly textures with digitally generated layers, which were then compiled in Adobe Photoshop.”

When I saw the title and subtitle of this book, I expected the events to go through all four seasons, but really this is about what various animals do to survive winter, and then only at the end of the book does spring arrive.

And, I feel so stupid, especially given that I’m an adult reading a book meant to be understood by very young children, but I read it twice, and I still can’t figure out what the rabbit does during winter, other than possibly change colors. Perhaps that was it.

I’ve already read another book by this illustrator and have two more on my to-read shelf. I’ll have to get to them at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit.

Kathryn I agree, "Burrr, a Book of Winter" is definitely a more apt title. But, the illustrations were lovely here!

Lisa, yes, I think that what the bunny does is change color. Maybe it is a snowshoe hare?

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Kathryn. I figured that had to be it, but as a pathetic city person I wasn't sure. Actually, there were bunnies in my San Francisco neighborhood when I was growing up, but I doubt there are any around now.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Thanks, Kathryn. I figured that had to be it, but as a pathetic city person I wasn't sure. Actually, there were bunnies in my San Francisco neighborhood when I was growing up, but I doubt there are..."

Aww, that must have been nice as a kid! I love bunnies. We had/have some at my parents' house, but jackrabbits, not bunnies. I always liked them. They are still cute, but not as cute as bunnies with those little cottontails ;-)