Lia's Reviews > The Beck Diet Solution

1196481
Jul 02, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: health, partial-reads

In my opinion, this book is poison. It's about how to use cognitive behavioral therapy to help chronically deprive yourself. I made it through very little of this book. The author doesn't refer to the people she has worked with as people. To her, everyone is a "dieter." I guess that makes me not part of her audience, since I don't "diet." But, man, really?! Are people "dieters" before they are human? Yucky.

Someone recommended this book as one that changes the way you relate to food--in a good way. Hm. It does change the way you relate to food, but not in a good way, according to my understanding of food as nourishment and a healthy and pleasurable part of life. One of the things at the beginning of the book is a "key" which involves taking out a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight every time anyone offers you something you "shouldn't" eat.

What a deprived and restrictive way to live. So not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beck Diet Solution.

Finished Reading
July 2, 2010 – Shelved
July 2, 2010 – Shelved as: health
July 2, 2010 – Shelved as: partial-reads

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Lia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lia Hi, Sheri. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review. I think you misunderstood what bothered me about the book. To me, you are a person, not a dieter. I'm glad the book helped you, and I'd love it if you could put your comment up again in a way that allows us both to engage in a conversation where we can both have our own opinions and address each other in a civilized manner. Thanks.

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Silva Look, I didn't read this book, I'm about to though. But from what I understood by your comment and others comments here is that the book is trying to reach the people who eat without thinking of the consequences. This "key" you mention, the list of reasons, dont think its something that restricts a person but as a tool, cause not everyone (myself included) can actually look at a nice slice of pizza with that wonderful smell and remember why you are on a diet. So having a paper that you can remind yourself why and not just eat it because its smells good, its an amazing tool. Some people dont need it, they know and they dont forget. Others will find it very useful. And I think thats what the book is about, about those people, reaching everyone. Somethings will be useful to just a handful of them, other things to larger group, and maybe one of the things will be useful to just one person, but I still think its worth it, and I also think its worth to read, especially if you cant stop yourself from eating when you know you shouldnt. Anyway, I dont think its restricted, its just tools that you can find useful or not, either way, its always ur choice.

message 6: by Lia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lia Amanda wrote: "Look, I didn't read this book, I'm about to though. But from what I understood by your comment and others comments here is that the book is trying to reach the people who eat without thinking of th..."

Hi, Amanda. See what you think as you read the book. Maybe it will jive with you. It definitely didn't jive with me.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Silva Maybe. I'll read it and if I agree with you I'll let you know. :)

message 4: by Lia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lia Sounds good! :-)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Høst I do agree with you. She teach people who to suppress their hunger. I also don't like she referred to healthy people to thin people. Just because you're thin don't mean you're healthy. "Thin people don't often overeat and when they do they eat less at their next meal or two to compensate for it". This is the biggest load of shit I have heard. This is starvation and not healthy.

message 2: by Sara (new)