Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > Hunger

Hunger by Michael  Grant

Jul 02, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, ya-kids-teen, series-books
Read from September 09 to 12, 2010

Pretty good! Though not as good as GONE: too many different plots and points of view made this book kind of hectic.

Michael Grant is definitely an author with a knack for action-driven stories heavy on suspense and excitement. Gone was a great beginning book for the series: it established the problem (all growups "poof" out and leave kids to fend for themselves) and dealt with the power struggles that ensued between the townies and the dysfunctional delinquents over at Coates. Hunger was therefore able to go more in-depth on the problems of the FAYZ: three months have gone by, and supplies and food are drastically depleted. What was so cool about this book was that - while I was reading it - I forgot that I was reading a fictional sci-fi/fantasy thriller. I was so wrapped up in "oh my gosh! what are they going to DO?!" and really feeling all the agitation and the anxiety that the characters felt. I read this 500+ page thing in 2 days, lordy lord! That's pretty good for me! I seriously could not put it down.

The (main) characters are all so incredibly dynamic. Just wanna give a quick shout-out to Dekka - I absolutely love her "go get'em tiger" personality. SHE needs to lead the FAYZ! Sam/Astrid and Caine/Diana went together very nicely - when I found myself annoyed at Sam and Astrid (and unfortunately, I did at times) I had Caine and Diana to balance the story out. Most of the main characters are portrayed in Hi-Def and so it made it incredibly easy to relate to them - the good guys and the not-so-good guys - and really care about what was going on with them. I personally find it really interesting that Grant has created an antagonist, Caine (cause technically that's what he is) that I actually care about. Maybe Caine's not bad enough - that's more like Drake - but I really enjoyed his scenes. He's such a megalomaniac, but perhaps a misunderstood megalomaniac?
I will say, though, that characterization and plot, two things that Grant knows how to handle really well, got a little hectic in this installment. I *do* like the large ensemble cast of characters, BUT in this story, I think there were a little too many perspectives, too many characters to keep track of, and I think that sometimes scenes that really should have gone to the "main characters" (like Sam and Astrid) were spent on all these secondary characters. That's okay and everything, except that I frequently found myself not quite understanding why Sam, Astrid or Lana would do certain things. Also, if Sam and Astrid just got together at the end of Gone, it seems a little early (to me) for them to already be having problems. But then again, they didn't have very many scenes together, and the few scenes they did have together they spent bickering. Maybe the spotlight will be on them a little more in Lies. All I'm saying is that because the perspective was off them, I didn't really feel as connected to them as I did in the first book. Astrid in particular started to annoy me a bit. She's supposed to be a genius, so I found it odd that she was so hostile to Albert's economic ideas. If you're so smart, Astrid, why can't you see that it's a good thing to try and rebuild the economy? Maybe we should start referring to "Astrid the Genius" as "Astrid the Commie." Just kidding! Caine and Diana, though, were great. They did get their bit of spotlight.
The same characterization notice also applied to the plots, here. I think there were so many things going on in this particular installment, that they just didn't seem fully covered. There's a major food shortage in the FAYZ. Caine and gang are trying to make a big for power again. The Darkness wants to be fed. Something's up with Petey. Albert wants to keep the flame of capitalism alive. Lots of really cool plot points that didn't really seem to get an even amount of coverage. It's totally cool to have different things going on, but toward the end, things just seemed rushed.
But anyway, another awesome installment to a new favorite series. I can't wait to get my hands on Lies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunger.

02/11 marked as: read

Sarah Gonzalez That is exactly how I felt!

message 2: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I haven't made it to the second book yet. Sometimes I shy away from reading the second in a series.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Lol I see what you mean. If you have time, Annalisa, I encourage you to continue with this series! I think you'll like it :)

Shyla I totallu agree about getting annoyed with Astrid and Sam too about how ignorant they were being towards Albert's idea of finding incentives to get people to work. I mean Asrid id supposed to be smart....why didn't she get it? Also, got a little tired of the whole "poor me, I am sam" bit. But I can't blame him, not really. He has too much to do, which is why he needs to get better at delegating and why Albert's idea would actually help take some pressure off him. I was suprised when I read that you care about Caine and like him and Diana's scenes....because it made me realize I do too. How very odd, don't know if I have ever identified with the "villian" before. I think maybe there is more "humanity" to Caine and Diana then they let show.

Jessica I disagree with your comment.. I LOVE BOTH GONE AND HUNGER