Emma Flanagan's Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

it was ok
bookshelves: bookclub

My rating of this is probably a bit unfair. For my own personal reasons I never connected with the story and never enjoyed it. I found it work. However it is well written. Nicholls creates characters which are extremely realistic if not likeable. You'll never find yourself rooting for any of them. Nicholls has a brilliant understanding of humanity, of people, with all their flaws. He shows in a realistic manner what it's like when relationships break down, be it a relationship between two partners or that between a parent and child. He pulls few punches in showing the grim reality of how these things can happen, and that live doesn't always end happily ever after.

Yet for all that, and notwithstanding my own personal reasons for not enjoying it, it is nowhere near the level of One Day. There's a touch of the difficult second album about it. There's that sense that yes there are some good points, but overall it just doesn't quite work. Maybe it's the fact the characters are all so unlikeable. Let's face it even with an anti-hero/heroine we still want to cheer for someone. Maybe it's the idea that anyone would willing agree to go on a long holiday with the person who has just informed them they are leaving them after it. I mean such a thing can only end well! Won't be stressful at all! Whatever it is, something just isn't there. That magic! That spark! That something you find in truly brilliant books!

Is it worth reading? Probably, if you want an easy read which is at least relatively well written. Is it a book that will stay with you? No. I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow. Hell I'll have forgotten it in an hour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

November 4, 2014 – Shelved
January 10, 2015 –
page 151
January 10, 2015 –
page 151
37.75% "Can't say I'm enjoying it but it is well written and realistic."
January 17, 2015 –
page 207
January 18, 2015 –
page 252
page 283
page 310
page 310
77.5% "I think there's a touch of the difficult second album about this book. It was always going to struggle to live up to One Day"
page 344
January 23, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Yep I don't think I'll be reading this on.

message 2: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Have this but it can now remain on the shelf for another while.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Emma, thanks for the review. You are one of two Goodreads friends who reviewed it. The other reviewer gave it 4.75 stars. I am not going to read it.

Donna McCaul Thibodeau Excellent review, Emma. I also gave this one two stars.

Gráinne Donnelly Completely agree. Such unlikeable characters.