Anne's Reviews > SLAM

SLAM by Tash McAdam

1720620

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, netgalley, arc, dystopian, paranormal, read-in-2014, short-stories, young-adult

For a debut novella, this didn't suck.
I'm not sure what to make of the way the author has written it, though. I've honestly never come across anything like this before, and I'm not even sure if this is correct, but it seems to be written in 3d person present tense. Maybe? I'm not an expert on tenses or narration so I could very well be wrong. If anyone out there would like to correct me on this, feel free to leave a comment and I'll edit this sucker. All I know is that it was sort of...odd...to read.
But the story wasn't bad at all, and it leads up to what will be the start of this new series from Tash McAdam.

So.
There's a girl, Serena, who wants to become a soldier/agent for this group of underground telepathic rebels. Her little brother was captured by the government a few years ago, and the only way for her to get the resources to mount a rescue mission, is to pass this test and become a full-fledged operative.
However, her one-time BFF seems to be trying to sabotage her efforts.
The first half of the book focuses on this part of her life, and gives you a bit of backstory into the dystopian world she lives in.
The next half of the book revolves around her mission, and introduces (I'm assuming) some of the characters that will eventually play a role in the novel, Maelstrom.

I'm waffling on whether or not I'd want to continue with these books.
There's potential for it to be really good, and it's hard to tell from a novella whether it's going to rock or not. There are some cool elements that I enjoyed, but the way it was written made me feel detached from the characters. I'm just not chomping at the bit to read an entire full-length book in that style.
But.
If I find out that it was only the novella that was written like that, I'd be more than happy to give Maelstrom a chance.

Thank you, NetGalley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SLAM.

November 4, 2014 – Started Reading
November 4, 2014 – Shelved
November 11, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sesana (new)

Sesana For a debut novella, this didn't suck.

What gushing praise!

Anne I try to keep it positive...