Sarah's Reviews > A Darkness Forged in Fire

A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris  Evans

Jul 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, war

I wanted to read this book because the premise of an elf who hated the woods was interesting. I thought that perhaps Evans would break through the typical fantasy elf/dwarf/etc barriers and create something completely new and absolutely different and refreshing.

This book was superbly average. The romance was cliche, the dialog was stilted, the characters were not as unique as I had hoped. The plot was predictable. All of the standard dimensions of three-star fantasy were in place from the romance to the magic to the unmemorable events.

Don't get me wrong, the book was a light, entertaining read but it was nothing groundbreaking and nothing I'll remember in a day. I have little to no desire to continue on with the series because I feel like I already know what's going to happen. I feel like I've read about all of these characters before that I've read about these situations before... it's nothing new. While it is an entertaining read, I think fans of Dragonlance and those kinds of books may find it more enjoyable than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darkness Forged in Fire.

July 2, 2010 – Shelved
July 6, 2010 – Started Reading
July 7, 2010 –
page 78
July 12, 2010 –
page 200
July 12, 2010 –
page 200
48.08% "I'm having a hard time pulling myself through this one. So far the book is uber predictable and the world building is just so-so."
July 12, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy