Brenda's Reviews > A Thousand Sisters: My Journey Into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman

A Thousand Sisters by Lisa J. Shannon

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

I have mixed feelings about this book. It does a terrifyingly good job of illustrating the horrors of women's lives in the Congo. Unlike others, I don't mind the inclusion of personal information regarding the author's life. What I don't like is that Shannon's activism appears to be a response to her own depression and the one dimensional representation of the women she meets. Shannon presents their personal tragedies - rape, deaths of husbands, children, etc. and even writes things like, "She reported seven children dead. I knew I had to add her to the shortlist to be interviewed." It makes me a little ill. We don't hear too much about these women's lives other than what happens when Shannon encounters them and interviews them. However, at the end Shannon writes that she doesn't need to collect more horror stories or spin another sad, sweet face into a talking point. I still feel unease with Shannon's writing and conflicted over this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Sisters.

Started Reading