Mmyoung's Reviews > Massively Multiplayer

Massively Multiplayer by P. Aaron Potter

U 50x66

bookshelves: science-fantasy

Massively Multiplayer was a pleasant surprise for this reader. Although I have over the years enjoyed reading books set in worlds of high fantasy I have never been much of a fan of playing MMORPGs. Most of the game tie-in books that I have read (or perhaps I should say, I tried to read) were simply attempts to set a story in the shared world(s) of the MMORPGs with, at most, a small or not well constructed level of interaction with the non-virtual world. However, in Massively Multiplayer, Potter has layered two nested stories within the shared gaming universe and two separate but intersecting stories in the “real” world. Potter also does quite a nice job of creating the near future in which these imagined MMORPGs are functioning as well as a future in which believable computer developments in the now and near future have resulted in believable changes in American life and culture. By the time I was half way through the book I had a clear sense of what Crucible (the MMORPG around which the book is written) was like for those who wanted to play. More importantly I had a good idea as why different types of people would be interested in plunging into this shared universe. In the end I found myself enjoying the parts of the book set in the world of Crucible as much as I did the parts set in “our” world.

In short, a fun read and one that might help many a person who doesn’t quite get MMORPGs to look at them in a different way. The events in the real world are believable given the history of the commercial use of media and of the growing trend towards monetizing audiences. The bad guys have good reasons for acting as they do and the good guys are neither too good nor too smart to allow for a pleasant suspension of disbelief.

And Potter goes on my list of new authors to keep an eye on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Massively Multiplayer.

July 2, 2010 – Started Reading