Darrah Glass's Reviews > This Charming Man

This Charming Man by Ajax Bell

I loved this book. Steven is adrift, at a pivotal point in his life, and he seems on the verge of making wrong decisions. His best friend Adrian (horrible! I love him!) uses and subtly abuses him and diverts him from his studies with decadent nightlife adventures. It's on one such clubbing night that Steven first sees John, handsome and much older. Steven is interested, John politely friendly. Steven meets John again, as the friend of a friend, and he's still interested...but he doesn't know how to read John. And pretty Steven, who has never had to work to catch anyone's interest, discovers he's going to have to make an effort for John.

I hesitate to go say too much for fear of spoiling the story for readers. The relationship builds realistically. There's plenty of sex, but the love story is actually a slow burn. Both MCs are indeed charming men, and their flirtation is delightful. The secondary characters are interesting and well-drawn.

And, of course, I love the setting: The book takes place in Seattle in 1991. I am basically the same age as Steven, and that's my Seattle he lives in. I went to those nightclubs, those restaurants. MASSIVE NOSTALGIA. Even Adrian's awful friend Flip is an era-appropriate douchebag.

If you like sexy gingers, smart romance, Seattle, May/December relationships, bitchy best friends, computer science or espresso, you'll find something you love in this book. I loved it so much, and am looking forward to the next title in the Queen City Boys series.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Charming Man.

November 4, 2014 – Started Reading