Janet Maisel's Reviews > Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me

Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty To... by Nan Marino

F 50x66
Jul 02, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Nice story that took me home to my childhood neighborhood. It struck close to home in lots of ways, particularly my family life, and sometimes I don't like going back there, even as an adult, so I would prefer a children's book that is more fun and upbeat and provides a bit of an escape. I think as a child this book would have been very sad to read. Is it too much to expect elementary school kids to be able to see the life from a grown up perspective. I think it is another way to ask them to be more than just a kid. Save it all for when they can sort these things out - after they have had some life experiences to contrast and compare. Add this story to the list of stories with dead parents. I think that after having read so many with that scenario as part of the plot, i would become fearful (as a child) that I might lose my parents. That was just me - full of fears anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me.