Menglong Youk's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

27195238

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, five-star, politics

I was sucked in by Game of Thrones TV series despite my fear of graphic violence. Its world's awesomeness is beyond words, especially the politics and mystery intertwined by George R. R. Matin's creativity. Although it might confuse me since we are on a halfway through season 6 TV series the time I'm writing this review, I could not stop myself from diving into the books to re-experience the awe and misery, and to fill some gaps that the TV series didn't portrait. On the top of that, I don't want to be a scarecrow once the Winds of Winter comes out.

After finishing going through the series, I get to know each character more than the first time I watched the TV series. Upon the conversation between Petyr Baelish and Eddard Stark on what to do and who should rightfully be the next King, my second favorite switched to Lord Baelish without hesitation. His wisdom, his knowledge of his enemies, and his adaptation to the ever-changing situations in Westero enable him to stay out of danger while the one who overvalues honor and duty ends up with nothing but death and despair.

There are so many characters, true, but I already know which characters are important in the story, which gives me advantages to follow the ones that matter. Martin did an impressive job at making his characters lovable and despisable as he wished.

My journey through a Song of Ice and Fire world was via a 34-hour audiobook instead of reading. I love the narrator's styles and his different tones of voice for each character, the best ones are Lord Baelish's and Lord Varys'.

Okay, next stop, A Clash of Kings

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Menglong Liked

“Life is not a song, sweetling.
Someday you may learn that, to your sorrow.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“What do we say to the Lord of Death?'

'Not today.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.”

November 3, 2014 – Shelved