Debbie's Reviews > Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened

Postcards by Jason Rodriguez

Jul 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: a-z-titles, graphic-novel

With this book, I was looking at the illustration/story design style of a variety of authors and illustrators in one collection to see what appealed to me and what didn't. I'm still figuring it out, but I think I'm drawn more to a simple, rather than busy frame, but with the more "comics" style of text with thought/speech/description bubbles, rather than a bunch of typed text at the bottom of a frame. I really don't like drawings that are full of black ink and lots of motion in a small frame, because I find it hard to follow.

The idea for this book came about when the editor started collecting postcards he found at flea markets and the like and wondered what kind of stories would be behind each one, given what was written on the back and the picture on the front. Each of the author/illustrator teams got a postcard and created a story surrounding it. It was a pretty neat approach, and I enjoyed both seeing how each postcard's "story" came to life and also the brief introductory comments from the editor, explaining how his thoughts and often (pleasant) surprise at what stories were created. The book is a little bit historical fiction, a little bit fake memoir, and a little bit short story. It would appeal to all those audiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Postcards.