Karyl's Reviews > Mary, Called Magdalene

Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George

Jul 01, 2010

I found this book to be quite a fascinating look at a woman mentioned several times in the New Testament. I appreciate George's portrayal of her simply as a normal, Jewish woman living in Galilee, who was attracted to Jesus's ministry when he cast seven demons out of her. What I found a bit fascinating was the theory that George presents in her book that Jesus wasn't exactly aware of his mission until it was revealed to him bit by bit. It made me all the more human to me as I read the book, though I realize he is also fully divine.

The only issue I have with this book is it gets a bit slow in spots, but in general, it's yet another of George's excellent historical novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary, Called Magdalene.

July 1, 2010 – Started Reading
July 1, 2010 – Shelved
July 4, 2010 –
page 155
July 8, 2010 –
page 417
July 12, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Oooo! I love Margaret George! I haven't read her for a couple of years though. Thanks for reminding me about her. :)

Karyl Me too! I've read her books on Henry VIII, Cleopatra, and Mary, Queen of Scots. I don't think I've gotten to Helen of Troy yet. I really enjoyed Cleopatra because it was nice to read an account that portrayed her as a woman trying everything to keep her nation independent from Rome, instead of a conniving, man-obsessed woman that just cared about getting in the pants of both Caesar and Mark Antony.