Barb Nessinger's Reviews > Prince Lestat

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice

F 50x66

did not like it

SPOILER ALERT:

I haven't looked forward to a book as much as this one in a long, long time, but I had some trepidation. I did not like her Angel Time novels nor her Wolf series (couldn't even get through them all, truth be told).

Prince Lestat might as well be titled "Lestat for Dummies," because it is so simplistic and unimaginative and just...mediocre. How does such a great author and imaginative mind turn so boring? I literally found myself yelling at this book: "STOP repeating the same things! Where is Lestat's essential being? Where is his incredible humor? Where are the great descriptive passages that transport the reader into the time/place/mind of the speaker?" Not one interesting or beautiful new character--they are all just same old, same old.

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed in a novel. Lest readers of this review think I don't know my Anne Rice books, I've read every single thing she wrote up until the Angels/Wolves. I am a devotee of the Mayfair Witches, all her historical fiction, and Lestat has always been my number-one favorite male fictional character of modern literature. I've recommended her novels to hundreds of people and have even used passages from Cry to Heaven and Feast of All Saints when I taught history.

One last thing: I actually started counting how many times she had characters refer to her past Vampire Chronicle novels. When you start doing that, you know you have a) little real interest in the plot; and b) a novelist who is reaching back to the past a bit too much. Create a great new book, and you won't have to tell (and try to blatantly sell) readers to read your old ones. This made me very sad.

The woman was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince Lestat.

Started Reading
November 3, 2014 – Shelved
November 3, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Cyd (new) - added it

Cyd Taylor this review was heartbreaking but thank you for the honesty I didn't like the wolf books either although even though I'm not religious I did enjoy her Jesus books with is strange

message 2: by Barb (new) - rated it 1 star

Barb Nessinger Thank you Cyd. I rather found the whole experience heart-breaking, but no amount of loving Rice's former great novels can save this one. Then I started getting all kinds of ads on my Kindle for her son's new novel. Geee...wonder why she wrote this one? Sad.

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Stocks Maybe she is going through a prolonged philosophical crisis; with her religious fluctuations and all. It sounds like she maybe trying to transform her vampires into something else, something not vampire? Of course it could just be the fount of talent drying up.

message 4: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Murphy Thank you for your very honest review. I handjt read anything by Rice in years but I looked at this book today and was looking forward to reading it as You have said Lestat was really exciting so sad that it's dives into the pool boring

Aradia Yes! Agreed. I was worried I would be the only long-term fan to feel so disappointed in this book... but clearly the poor quality did not go unnoticed.

Sini Aradia: I have also felt like odd one with not liking this book. Glad to see I´m not only super fan who had problems with it.

message 7: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Forrestall Haven't finished it. Just too boring. Should never have been published.

message 8: by Zuleyka (new) - added it

Zuleyka I wish I hadn't read it and stay with the image of the Lestat that used to be great... Such a waste of a story and characters.

message 9: by Ana (new) - rated it 1 star

Ana 100% agree. I Couldn't explain it better.

message 10: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Kirk I agree - I am pretty disappointed. I doubt I'll read any more of it - Two sentences and I am asleep.