David's Reviews > Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity

Everything and More by David Foster Wallace

Jul 01, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

I never thought I would find myself engrossed in a book about math, but David Foster Wallace actually makes this history of the philosophy and mechanics of math accessible - and I surround that word with heavy quotation marks - to anyone who can at least engage in, and enjoy, intellectual pretzel twisting. While I glazed over at the parts where equations came into play, there really was enough that didn't depend on them - enough of a tether to history or something I could actually understand - to keep me reading, at least usually. The concepts, as per DFW's stock-in-trade, were mind-boggling enough to make me want to keep reading, and I really did learn some things, although I think it would take me a few long minutes to try and articulate what they actually were if you asked me. Not exactly beach-reading, but actually mind-expanding...so long as you're willing to take it in chunks. I imagine that if you're someone who majored in Math, you would get a lot more out of this still... :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything and More.