Kony's Reviews > Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success

Give and Take by Adam M. Grant

liked it

This is yet another "psychology lite" bestseller for professionals with short attention spans. Like others of its genre, it has a clear moral, anchored in modern-day anecdotes and Cliff-Notes-style research summaries.

The author's core claim: Acting generous is heathy, sexy, and profitable - it makes you feel good, makes others like you, boosts your odds of success, and can actually make you a better person over time.

I already believed this, more or less, and I appreciated seeing it played out in story format. The premise that everyone can be classified as a "giver," "taker," or "matcher" is thought-provoking and fun to think about, even if it isn't a very nuanced theory of human motives. Although the stories about real-life givers and takers felt cherry-picked and formulaic, I did come away with useful questions and critical thinking exercises to deploy in my career and my social life.

This book is perfect for the train or plane, if you don't want to think too hard and want something light, moderately well researched, and actionable. It's fun, well-written, and practically relevant enough to merit 3 stars. It lacks the wisdom and depth of a 4-star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give and Take.

November 3, 2014 – Started Reading
November 3, 2014 – Shelved
November 19, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Elle You're a pistol :)