Jill's Reviews > Father of the Rain

Father of the Rain by Lily King

Jul 01, 2010

bookshelves: coming-of-age

Years ago, I sent out a birthday invitation with the theme, “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.” Funny – or so I thought.

But for Daley Amory, the main character of Lily King’s poignant and at times heartbreaking Father of the Rain, those words are anything but funny. We meet her as an 11-year-old, torn between the liberal and do-good world of her mother and the conservative, erratic, liquor-soaked world of her charismatic and arrogant father. A WASP of the first-degree – rich, Harvard-educated, disconnected – his signature phrase, while lying on his chaise chair, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other, is, “I wonder what the poor people are doing today.”

Daley soon learns the rules of engagement with her father: “In my father’s culture there is no room for self-righteousness or even earnestness. To take something seriously is to be a fool. It has to be all irony, disdain and mockery. Passion is allowed only for athletics. Achievements off the court or playing field open the achiever up to ridicule. Achievement in any realm other than sports is a tell-tale sign of having taken something seriously.”

This could fall into the world of stereotype or cliché – the toxic, alcoholic father and the daughter who tries to please him. But it doesn’t. Lily King takes great pains to paint Gardiner Amory – the father – as damaged but not evil. It is inevitable that the grown Daley try to reconnect with him and be the savior, attempting to liberate him from his alcohol dependency…as if that would make everything all right.

Her beau will say to her: “Oh Daley…you want the daddy you never got. You want him to make your whole childhood okay…You’ve got it nicely cloaked in a gesture of great sacrifice.”

The heartbreak, of course, is that none of us can ever “fix” another human being or get our childhood back. As Daley becomes more and more immersed in his world, falling into her charismatic and narcissistic father’s gravitational orbit, the stakes get higher and higher. There is not a false note in this authentic book, which takes the reader right into the vortex of a broken family relationship gone asunder. It is a compelling psychological study of how much we give up – including our own survival – to try to save and repair those relationships that are most dear to us. In a non-manipulative way, this book will pull at your heartstrings and stay with you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Father of the Rain.

July 1, 2010 – Started Reading