Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette

In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides

Nov 02, 2014

bookshelves: audio

Put this in the category of "you can't make this stuff up". I absolutely LOVE true stories that give me lots of things to Google, that make me feel like I've learned something. I picked this one up for one of my book clubs, but I likely would have read it anyway because I am fascinated with polar exploration.

The story does start off a little bit slow, with a million little details of how this voyage originated, and the backgrounds of all the players. It is tedious but necessary, and actually gives the reader a wonderful snapshot of the Gilded Age. Once the guys take off for the North Pole however, it assumes a heart-pounding pace that is near impossible to put down. Natives, changeable weather, unpredictable ice flow, tainted canned tomatoes, caring for the team of dogs, the loss of the ship mid-journey, crappy maps, starvation and 50 degrees below zero temps...you need a blanket just to get through the book. Adding a personal touch, we hear from the captain's wife Emma in her faithful, loving letters to her husband in the years he is gone. By the end of the story, I was nearly in tears.

Arthur Morey is the narrator for this book, and while I wouldn't call him dynamic, I do consider him to be the father of audios. He has won countless awards and has recorded hundreds of books. You will never go wrong with one of his projects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Kingdom of Ice.

November 2, 2014 – Started Reading