Michelle's Reviews > The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse by Craig Johnson

liked it
bookshelves: 2014, favorite-series, library, 2018, westerns, mystery-thriller, reviewed
Read 2 times. Last read July 26, 2018 to July 27, 2018.

I wrote a long, long, review about this book. Goodreads was over capacity and ate it. I'm not sure I can muster the energy to repeat myself, but here we go.

You know how sometimes a book in a series you love just doesn't hit the mark? That's this one for me. I'm not sure why. It has all of the pieces you would expect in a Longmire mystery. Walt and Henry. Ruby and Vic and Lucian, but in very limited amounts. Some fun undercover moments for Walt. Lots of Dog. And horses. However, I'm left wanting more but can't figure out why. Maybe it was the constant time jumps. Maybe it was Walt trying to be undercover in his hometown. Seriously, Walt? You're pretty well-known. And Henry even more so. But anyway...

Walt is investigating a murder of a man no one is going to miss, and a bunch of horses that everyone will. And a missing horse, and a near-comatose wife who is in the middle of it all. You know Walt. He can't help but be involved now. It's just who he is.

Like I said, the components are all there, and it is actually pretty good, but not as great as some of the others. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Horse.

November 2, 2014 – Shelved