Jackie's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED.

holy crap, this book was addicting

tw: PTSD, lots of deaths, suicidal thoughts (minor aspect) -- i'm blanking rn so if anyone has noticed anything else, let me know!

i've had this book on my TBR since 2014 because apparently everyone was raving about it?? i honestly don't remember lmao but with the whole noah shaw series coming out, i thought i should try reading the first book and see what all the hype was about??

and ooooo boy, i didn't expect it to be so GOOD.

i had absolutely no clue what this book was about and i haven't really heard people speak about it so i went in blind and i'm SOOO glad i did. when i read the first chapter i didn't really know where this story was supposed to be going but with every new chapter i just got more and more invested.

this book is about Mara who moves to a new town as a new start after she survived being crushed by a collapsing building (her 3 best friends died tho). she suffers from PTSD and she has visions of her dead friends but she doesn't tell anyone bc she wants to seem ~normal~

lemme just make lists of the things that i liked because i'm lazy:

++ Mara Dyer ++
- oh my god I loved her SO MUCH
- i just,, wanted to protect her all the time like she bottled everything up and had to deal with everything all by herself and i could just RELATE to her so much omg my poor baby :(
- i can already see all the people out there who hate Juliette from Shatter Me hating on Mara because they think she's annoying (ugh y'all just don't GET IT)
- but i thought she was a genuine and relatable character and VERY LIKABLE. i could see myself in her in a lot of ways and I JUST LOVE HER OKaY :')

++ Daniel Dyer ++
- he's Mara's older brother and he was SO NICE
- definitely one of my fav characters in this book
- Daniel and Mara's relationship was AMAZING. he was so supportive of her and he kept looking out for her (mostly without her knowing) AND I ATE IT UP. i love a good brother-sister relationship and this one was perfect

++ Noah Shaw ++
- oh boy,, Noah
- it seemed like he'd be your cliché brooding YA bad boy because he's British and good-looking and he sleeps around and everyone is in love with him (i knOw i was ready to be disappointed)
- and here i thought i wouldn't fall for him..... but he was so CHARMING and adorable and kind and i love him (ugh i hate myself why am i so easy to please)
- he made a few possessive and controlling remarks at times but overall he was so genuine and very SUPPORTIVE and respectful towards Mara and i kinda get why she fell for him??
- i'd definitely read the new Noah Shaw books (if i find out what they're about) because I really liked him and I loved how his and Mara's relationship developed
- I TRUST HIM TO BE GOOD TO HER

++ PARENTS ACTUALLY EXIST!!! ++
- how many books have you read where the parents were either dead or they absolutely did not care what their children were up to?
- too many to count, that's right
- BUT THE PARENTS ACTUALLY EXISTED IN THIS BOOK AND THEY WERE SO SWEET
- Mara's mum only wants what's best for Mara especially after she was in the accident that killed her best friends and she can be a little overbearing at times BUT SHE JUST WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF MARA
- it's honestly too sweet
- and whenever Mara would make an effort to not be so distant, her mother would be so surprised but SO ENTHUSIASTIC
- and she was so cute when she met Noah for the first time :')
- the father didn't play that big of a role tbh but he was still present and always looked out for his daughter!

++ the angst ++
- oh god
- i love angst
- and this book was FILLED WITH IT
- that's all there is to say really

overall, i think this book is BRILLIANT and i can't wait to continue with the series and see where Mara's story goes! the end was a bit of a cliffhanger and i'm a lil antsy to find out what's gonna happen?? I JUST HOPE THE REST OF THE TRILOGY WON'T DISAPPOINT.

i'd definitely recommend this to you if you like INCREDIBLY ADDICTING books. i literally stayed up until 6am to read this, then slept for 3 hours and woke up to finish the rest of the book,, ugh it's so good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

November 2, 2014 – Shelved
November 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2018 – Started Reading
February 13, 2018 –
18.0% "this is getting interesting 👀"
February 15, 2018 –
74.0% "this book is getting so GOOD it kept me up all night. i was reading until 6am, slept for 3 hours and then continued reading"
February 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

julianna ➹ love this review

Sydney IT WON’T DISAPPOINT
It literally gets so good....

Jackie julianna ➹ wrote: "love this review"

and i love you

Jackie Sydney wrote: "IT WON’T DISAPPOINT
It literally gets so good...."

omg YES that is exactly what i wanted to hear

Gaby (lookingatbooks) The series only gets better. Retribution is my favorite in the series. The character development is just spot on, especially Mara. I hadn’t related her to Juliette but they’re very similar. Although Mara is a little more villainous. Great review!

Jackie Gaby (lookingatbooks) wrote: "The series only gets better. Retribution is my favorite in the series. The character development is just spot on, especially Mara. I hadn’t related her to Juliette but they’re very similar. Althoug..."

oh yay that makes me so happy to hear! i was worried because so many people said this series is going downhill but now i'm even more excited to continue reading. thank you so much!

Gaby (lookingatbooks) It doesn’t go downhill at all, it only gets better. I always laugh when I see reviews that say that. I wonder if they read the same book as me. The storyline improves each book and so does the romance. Plus like I said the character development is excellent. I think the problem is it became one of those Instagram aesthetic books (especially during the Fall season) and people who wouldn’t normally read a series like that are reading it and rating it low. Plus in book one Mara is portrayed as a misunderstood character but in reality she’s a villain who only comes to realize her true self as the books progress. I don’t think a lot of people realized that’s the type of story this is and didn’t like the direction it went in. But that was the original intention. That’s my take on it.

Jackie Gaby (lookingatbooks) wrote: "It doesn’t go downhill at all, it only gets better. I always laugh when I see reviews that say that. I wonder if they read the same book as me. The storyline improves each book and so does the roma..."

honestly you make this sound SO GOOD i can't wait to pick up the next book!

Gaby (lookingatbooks) I think you’ll really like it, especially if you’re a Shatter Me fan. Did you read Restore Me yet? I finished it yesterday.

Jackie Gaby (lookingatbooks) wrote: "I think you’ll really like it, especially if you’re a Shatter Me fan. Did you read Restore Me yet? I finished it yesterday."

YES I HAVE did you like it??

Gaby (lookingatbooks) I thought it was really good! I’m dying for the next book, I can’t believe we have to wait a year. That ending was horrible. If Brendan and Winston are really dead I’m gonna be so salty about it ☹️