Jen Ryan's Reviews > Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Make no mistake: the protagonist of this novel is not a likable, sympathetic character. Libby Day is traumatized and emotionally removed (her mother and two older sisters was brutally murdered and her older brother Ben jailed for the crime; the specter of her abusive, alcoholic, absentee father looms in the background, so we'll give her that), but she's also aimless, a moocher, a petty thief, a liar, an opportunist.

The fast pace of the book was set by it's structure, alternating between Libby's present-day voice and the third-person, crime-day voices of her mother and brother. Reading it transports you to the Satanic cult hysteria of the 80s; brings home the challenges of poor, rural life.

This was my least favorite of Flynn's three novels, likely because there was no levity: the story was very good, but the characters were unsympathetic at best, the setting was bleak, the gore was troubling, and the structure of the story made it obvious you were being led right down a rabbit hole. I still gobbled it up over the course of a few days.

Like "Gone Girl," "Dark Places" will be released as a movie (pretty soon, I think). The book may be enough for me...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.

Started Reading