Bonnie E.'s Reviews > Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Creepy as can be. Read it after finishing Gone Girl and think I prefer the latter. Did not see the ending coming in Dark Places and have to say it was a little too contrived, especially with all the "solves" happening simultaneously. Won't say more so as not to spoil anything but the timing of things at the end kind of bothered me.

That said, it is a page turner to the nth degree. I tend to read far into the night when wrapped into a book, but could NOT read this after dark, especially when home alone. None of the characters are anywhere close to being likable or endearing, including the main character Libby, but after awhile you almost get used to their icky peculiarities. Many of the scenes are downright vile, like the one where Ben's girlfriend vomited with a hoary string of spaghetti still hanging from her mouth, and the relentless stench and bottomless depression was just too much at times. The violence is disturbing on so many levels, and when you think it can't get much worse, it just does.

Gillian Flynn sure can pull you in, even when you have to avert your eyes or try to think happy thoughts so as not to become overwhelmed. As I think about it, not sure why I liked this book considering its overall level of nastiness, but somehow it worked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.

Started Reading