Wart Hill's Reviews > The Burnt Toast B&B

The Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi Belleau

Nov 01, 2014

bookshelves: netgalley, arc2014
Read 2 times. Last read March 15, 2015 to March 16, 2015.

Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

This is such a feel good book for me, but I promise I’ll try to be articulate.

So you’ve got Derek who inherited his parents B&B when they died. He’s worked there (and endured the teasing and shots at his manhood that it brought with it) for pretty much all his life. He isn’t too happy with owning and running it. And he isn’t too good at running it. He hasn’t updated it. Isn’t on top of the cleaning. And he can’t cook for crap.

He should be out doing man’s work. Like chopping down trees. And drinking beer. And being. Manly.

Just when he’s decided he’s going to close her up for good, Ginsberg Sloan arrives needing cheap accommodations while his arm heals. He broke it doing his job. Which is being a fucking stunt actor on Wolf’s Landing because Ginsberg Sloan is a fucking bad ass. He’s a stunt double for the lead actor, who’s character tends to get beat to hell a lot.

You know what else Ginsberg is? He is unapologetically queer. Down with his feminity. AND TRANS. HE IS A FUCKING TRANS MAN GUYS. Ginsberg Sloan is like. CAN I BE GINSBERG SLOAN? Can we make a movie of this so I can play Ginsberg Sloan? C’Mon, let’s kickstart this thing! Seriously. *cough*

Ahem

Coherency. Right.

So Derek takes pity on Ginsberg. But not enough pity. He’s convinced Ginsberg will want to leave of his own accord because. Duh.

Except Ginsberg doesn’t. Instead, Ginsberg takes the B&B under his wing and makes it his mission to help Derek get it up and running and back to being a place people actually want to go instead of one people avoid like the plague.

From a house party/concert to generate hype to cooking lessons to figuring out what to keep and what to toss and what to bring in new, Ginsberg helps Derek give the B&B new life. And in the process, the two start falling for each other.

Except Derek still has that niggling fear that this isn’t what he’s supposed to do with his life. That this is just want Ginsberg wants but Ginsberg won’t have to live with it once his arm is healed, and Derek will and he’ll be saddled to this place.

And Derek fucks up. Bad. So, so bad.

So bad he’s terrified he can’t fix it.

But apparently there’s nothing frilly pink donut aprons can’t fix. Eventually.

Deatils? Read for details!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burnt Toast B&B.

November 1, 2014 – Shelved
November 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: soon
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: arc2014
March 15, 2015 – Started Reading
March 15, 2015 –
21.0% "Ginsberg makes me happy. Also I have a thing for surly guys who work hospitality *cough*lukedanes*cough*"
March 15, 2015 –
March 16, 2015 –
March 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 16, 2015 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
April 16, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
page 59
27.57% (Paperback Edition)
page 109
50.93% (Paperback Edition)
page 117
54.67% (Paperback Edition)
April 18, 2015 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)

Sarah_loves_books Really looking forward to your review. I have this on my TBR, but I almost decided not to read it. But if you liked...

message 2: by Wart (new) - added it

Wart Hill I'm so excited to write it! It's super feel good and yeah Derek is kind of frustrating but Ginsberg more than makes up for it because he is BEYOND FUCKING AWESOME!

Sarah_loves_books Wart wrote: "I'm so excited to write it! It's super feel good and yeah Derek is kind of frustrating but Ginsberg more than makes up for it because he is BEYOND FUCKING AWESOME!"

Great :D

Sarah_loves_books Great review! Now I want to read this soon!!! Just started to re-read an almost 500 page book, but after that!

message 5: by Wart (new) - added it

Wart Hill I hope you like it!

Sarah_loves_books Wart wrote: "I hope you like it!"

I loved it :) Much better than what I expected.