Purlewe's Reviews > The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For

The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel

Jun 30, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, glbt, graphic-novel

Have you ever read something for so long you felt like you were friends with the characters? I used to read all of the DTWOF books and would be so pleased when I came across one in a alternative newspaper. Reading this was like catching up with old friends.. I knew the first 2/3rds of the book.. but I will admit that after 2002 I dropped them off my radar.. so the last 1/3 was completely new to me. I think Bechdel's drawings are so rich and interesting. Her style has changed, the characters have grown up, the politics have come and gone in at least 2 full rotations(!!), and yet this is still such an interesting slice of life. She gives you views on people like yourself and people you know and people you don't know but wish you did!

I used to have long debates with myself about who I thought was the character I wished I knew in person... but the truth is I want to know them all. And sometimes.. they are just as infuriating as real friends with their faults and quirks. DTWOF is on hiatus, but this book helps you keep them around for when you are lonely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For.

June 30, 2010 – Started Reading