Russell Hayes's Reviews > The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe

The Apologetics Study Bible by Anonymous

bookshelves: christian-books

This had many good footnotes and articles throughout the text. The articles, written by top-notch apologists, always dealt with issues that often come up in conversation and provide a good summary of the Christian worldview. I tabbed the more instructive ones.

The back of the book had a very interesting timeline of apologetic works and authors, many of whom I had never heard of. These include Theodoret's "The Truth of the Gospel Proved from Greek Philosophy" (c. 393-457), Peter Abelard's "A Dialogue Between a Philosopher, a Jew, and a Christian" (1079-1142), and Dionysius the Carthusian's "Against the Perfidy of Muhammad" (1402-1471).

It also included a chart of major archaelogical finds corroborating the Scriptures.

The translation is HCSB, which the inventions state is the "optimal equivalence" based on its adherence to literality as well as a commitment to modern readability. Personally, I was more used to NKJV and ESV.

The footnotes in the text often pointed out alleged discrepancies between Scriptures and explained each of them. One downside to this is that I was made aware of many more of these discrepancies than I knew existed! As a result, this Bible should only be for the committed believer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apologetics Study Bible.

November 1, 2014 – Started Reading